• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel injectors

madmerc00

CEG'er
how would i clean the fuel system. it has junk at the bottom of the tank and when it gets to 1/4 of a tank it starts to miss and stall. Do these cars need injectors every so miles or something. please give me ideas!:help:

Help us out here. Year, model, engine type, and trans type can help us to better help you.

I suspect that you have a late 99 or 00 v6 with the returnless fuel system. In which case you most likely have a plugged fuel pump module inlet disc filter inlet screen. Find the instructions for replaing the fujel pump here and find the last photo on the bottom of the page. Take that thing out and throw it as far as you can. You don't need it. There is still a conventional sock filter before the pump inside the pump module.

2000 Mercury Mystique LS
V6
MTX-75
118120 miles
Nickname: Mad Merc

I know there is alot of junk at the bottom of the tank and getting to the injectors. i have already got a CEL code from it. i want to put svt injectors any way.

How do you know that you have a lot of junk in the tank? If you do, you must clean it out no matter what else you do.

For somethig in the tank to be a problem, it would have to get through the intank filter or filters as well as the main fuel filter outside the tank. It isn't very likely.

Installing SVT injectors will require reprogramming your processor or taking other measures to compensate for the higher flow rate. It is not a bolt on upgrade. Unless you know what you are doing with it, don't do it. It will cause a lot of grief without the needed changes.

so i will have to get the pats system out of that car also?

if you are swapping pcms you either need Ford to "program" your keys to the pcm or you need the 2 original keys fir the PCM you are swapping in so that you can program your own keys ... I have covered this alot before ...

oh an since you have a 2k you need a 2k SVT PCM and it still may not work ... you need to make sure the PCM is compatable ... you can only use a 2k PCM since you have a returnless fuel system ...

Last edited:
isnt the svt pcm programed for svt cams as well?

it most likely is but there have been some, myself included that have run without the SVT cams and just the pcm ... car runs great ... either way the pcm should be able to adjust timing to run correctly .... the one thing you need to address is if you swap to the SVT injectors, then you definately need a tune or the SVT PCM for the car to no throw a lean code on both banks ...

you know thinking about it more all cams do is control how long the valve are open, therefor it controls how much air is moved throught the engine ... the computer controls the timing and it knows how much air it is taking in and how it is leaving so it should be able to adjust without an issue ...

Last edited:
it most likely is but there have been some, myself included that have run without the SVT cams and just the pcm ... car runs great ... either way the pcm should be able to adjust timing to run correctly .... the one thing you need to address is if you swap to the SVT injectors, then you definately need a tune or the SVT PCM for the car to no throw a lean code on both banks ...

you know thinking about it more all cams do is control how long the valve are open, therefor it controls how much air is moved throught the engine ... the computer controls the timing and it knows how much air it is taking in and how it is leaving so it should be able to adjust without an issue ...

We all wish it were that simple. In most ways, there isn't suffecient range in the program to compensate for such changes. Even when there is, it may not be optimum. Factory programs qre written very narrowly for the specific application, and flexibility for modifications is not one of the design parameters.

Back