• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What color should I paint my Impala?

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
Opinions needed!

I have stripped my Impala down to the bare metal to start fresh. I found by running the numbers (after 8 years, it's about time :rolleyes: ) and found that she was originally Tuxedo Black with the white and red interior.

I'm not restoring her to OEM specs, so sticking with the orginal color is pointless. I'm considering switching the interior color(s) too.

I've seen some really sweet hotrods as of late in some of House Of Kolor's Kandies, pearls and even some micro flakes. I just am so lost on what would look good..... I'd really like some opinions! Some that I've been considering is kandy apple red over a black base (looks like a black paint job, but has a DEEP red cast to in sunlight), blue blood (Have you ever sliced your finger open and had a fair amount of blood squirt out? It's that lovely color :) ) or the OEM tuxedo black with a pearl of some kind that'd go well with the interior color (ala-Swazo :cool: )

Ideas?

Here are some examples of some 64's with airbag suspensions (one 62 in there...) and various wheels. I forgot that not everyone is into Impala's and the like, so some examples could go a long way :laugh:
dsc003626lj.jpg

c3_3.jpg

2237694_4_full.jpg

63_3.jpg

2115605_4_full.jpg

Again, opinions or ideas would be great!

Since you've already had a super-beautiful black car (w/ pearl), I would think that you would be a little more satisfied with another color. I'm just thinkin' out loud here.
But, if it were my Impala, I'd probably go red. They look good in red.
I like the wheels from cars 3, 4, & 5 the best. Just thought I'd toss that in. ;)

My Dad used to have a '62 that was red with a white top.

IMO, that combo with mabye a red pearl in the white would look cool.

Good point about the black Derek. I will be getting some new wheels as a finishing touch. I've been thinking of the EXACT same setup as the white '62, which is why I even posted that pic. Those are 18X7's in the front and the rears are 20X10 :drool: They're actually made in Ogden, UT too (I buy local when I can).

I love the red body/white top w/ red pearl idea. I've seen a lot of blue impala's done that way. Man, that's got me really thinking now!

I like the red too, Scot. I have a gallon of Dupont basecoat in victory red (a fairly new GM color) and a gallon of their clear. It's very close to the old red I had. Here are some pics of it in different lighting. I may add some HOK pearl to it, or maybe a few coats of a kandy over it. If you see the last generation Impala's that the Fire departments have (Their chiefs seem to roll them around in Salt Lake....), those are also victory red.

10-jsurratt.jpg

borladay%20013.jpg

victory.red.600.jpg

Last edited:
Victory red w/ white top? 18x7 up front and 20x10 out back?
I'm liking the sound of that. :drool:

BTW, what's up with the engine? Stock?

Not stock at all :laugh:

It's a 350 with forged internals, higher compression (I've forgotten, but IIRC it's up around 13:1), PnP'd heads with 2.02 intake valves and 1.94 exhaust valves & roller rockers, mild cam (might replace while the engine is out...), topped with all the retro 60's style polished finned aluminum goodies, chrome alt & WP and a sepintine belt conversion w/ billet pulleys and mounts. Ceramic coated shorty headers with a well thought out exhaust system is in the works. She's seen 3 engines that were pieced together, so this engine was done right from the oil pan on up.

The trans is a built TH350 with a manual valve body, a nice higher stall TQ converter (around 2600 IIRC) and a few other things I'm forgetting.

These cars have a 2 piece drive shaft, and are known to be a PITA. So I've had a custom beefy one built with a slip yoke on the back half and a HARDCORE billet center support bearing to make it as bullet proof as I can.

I also go somewhat unlucky for the rearend. Chevy fullsized 55-64 and 'Vettes 55-62 had the early 10 bolt rear that's like a Ford 9" because it has a "quick change" 3rd member. Unfortunatly, they need some attention before they'll handle any real power.
She'll be built with 4.11 gears (stock was 3.08) and an Eaton LSD (peg legged open diff gets tossed) along with fresh seals and bearings.

The rear is the only thing left to get done, besides preping the frame and body for all these goods :laugh:

Last edited:
I think that the paint will look great in red! It is nice seeing another build on an Impala. A friend of mine and I are restoring his 66 at the moment and the build is actually very similar to yours although on a slightly different body.

Back