• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

should i dare try?

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
should i dare try to do a wide body kit for our cars?

it would be pieces that attach over the front fender and rear quarter panels. maybe mold in to bumpers maybe no depending on how wide i want to go

Rounded pieces to look more factory. hope to get them wide enough to run wider wheels.

as of now i would shape them out of foam. then cover in fiberglass.

any ideas i am prepared to get flamed for this one but i think it would be cool to try.

If this was almost anyone else I would say that this isn't going to go anywhere. But I have faith that you might actually do this. I think that it has the potential to look amazing. Please atleast get it made out of foam so that we can get an idea of how it would look.

In other words... Yes, do it. And keep us updated with plenty of pics. Good luck!

ok well i hope to pick up a fender on my next junkyard run just a front fender. then to lowes or HD to get the foam. and ill update from there i have what i want it to look like in my head but who knows.

hey ill give it a try at least. if it looks like crap i might not post the pictures and disappear from the fourm for ever haha

also doing same kind of thing but to hold my ipod under the ebrake

hey ill give it a try at least. if it looks like crap i might not post the pictures and disappear from the fourm for ever haha

also doing same kind of thing but to hold my ipod under the ebrake

well we would still love to see your Handy work whether it looks bad or not.:cool:

ummmmm maybe maybe not depends i kno its going to have to attach to the bumper also so thats the main point of problems. since our fender ends at the light ill have to make that piece first then the one on the bumper. the saleen has more of fender flare add on where what i want is it for it to smoothly roll from the top of the fender out. smooth transitions.

ok heres my plan to slice the foam into half inch think pieces and glue them onto the fender that way i can get the same shape as the fender and shape from there. those pieces can be as long as i want to help shape it before getting it ready. hope thats easy to imagine. i can see it but then agian im the one thinking of it.

Good Idea,

Just wondering though, have you ever worked with foam before?
Ive been working with it for about a year now on my FSAE car, its how we make a mold for the body.

Do you plan on making a male and female mold and then using E or S glass for the fiber material, what about the resin, there is a lot of different types to use. Have you even thought about Vacuum bagging?
How do you plan on making both sides symmetric?
Will they be reusable, this stuff is expensive and its not very cost effective if your making high volume. If you were to sell it it would have to be very expensive for you to make back what you spent.

I say this because it is a big task and takes a long time. We are using a two part pourable foam mixture that bonds well to bondo/filler. We sand down the foam and then put a thin layer of bondo on it. Then we put down some E glass to make the female mold, or the top mold. Then we use S glass for the real body and set the female mold onto the male mold adding pressure to make the body really thin.

Bodykits which are fiberglass have about 7 layers of Fiberglass and they are autoclaved, intense heat and pressure. The parts on our cars are abs.

If you want more info on this I can get it for you. I have pics of the process. Its one hell of a task. Im not trying to bash you or anything, its a great idea, I mean I wish I had time and money to do this type of thing. Good Luck!!!

Dan

Back