• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour Supercharger Test subject

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Is there anyone interested in our supercharger kit that would like a free install? Now that I have a finished kit on my 3L Cougar. I'd like to test fit it on a 2.5L Contour to get some power numbers from a 2.5L and to verify the piping will be the same. SVT/non-SVT/ATX/MTX are all fine. I'd like to get some numbers from an ATX though.

The person has to have a battery relocation on an ATX and it's recommended for an MTX. They must be willing to bring the car out to Minneapolis, MN to leave it here for a few days for the install. Kit does require us to do some cutting to feed piping down to the bumper (nothing that will keep you from going back to stock). May not be able to use the windshield washer tank without some modification to the filler neck. Kit will cost you $3000 but it will be installed for free :). PM me for details.

Kit includes:
-Vortech Supercharger (more $$ for polished finish)
-Oil feed and drain lines
-Supercharger Bracket
-Supercharger 6 rib belt
-Supercharger pulley
-Drive pulley
-Intake filter
-Polished Piping/4-ply Couplers/T-bolt Clamps from supercharger to throttle body
-Aftermarket 1_1/4 qt. Aluminum Coolant tank
-Breather for valve cover vents
-All necessary hosing and clamps for air lines and coolant lines.

Last edited:
wow im glad ill have a choice when i have the money ready. just need to see the specs back to back to make my descion

When you make a decision on the what kit is better for you make sure you compare apples to apples but I am sure the kit will be great either one. But if you want more power and torque the turbo will give you more either way you go. I rode in a SC contour 3 liter the powerband is real smooth nothing real aggresive but some who run autocrossing may prefer the smooth acceleration and those who want the instant torque and power across the bandand want the faster quarter miles runner will like the turbo. It hard to explain what 300 ft torque feels like in a 3100 car and especailly when the car pulls to redline that way.

Very nice kit I like how you improved the vortec mounting keep up the good work......anxious to see the dyno on 2.5

When you make a decision on the what kit is better for you make sure you compare apples to apples but I am sure the kit will be great either one. But if you want more power and torque the turbo will give you more either way you go. I rode in a SC contour 3 liter the powerband is real smooth nothing real aggresive but some who run autocrossing may prefer the smooth acceleration and those who want the instant torque and power across the bandand want the faster quarter miles runner will like the turbo. It hard to explain what 300 ft torque feels like in a 3100 car and especailly when the car pulls to redline that way.

Very nice kit I like how you improved the vortec mounting keep up the good work......anxious to see the dyno on 2.5

I dont think finding power will be a problem on either kit. Also having a butt load of torque downlow isnt going to be much help when all you do is spin the tires. It's similar to picking 3L cams (turbo) over SVT cams (supercharger). I'd say a supercharger would definately be a better 1/4 car unless you find some way to hook up.

This Vortech compressor will supply more than enough air for the low and high boost kits. An upgrade from a low boost kit to a high boost kit will only consist of a different belt routing to fight belt slip. From what I've heard you have two different turbos. One for the 2.5L and one for the 3L which sounds spendy if you were to upgrade. Not trying to bash your kit but since you are pumping your kit in my thread I might as well try to pump mine over yours.

BTW I have a few people interested in testing it out. We should have some numbers from a few different cars soon.

Last edited:
I dont think finding power will be a problem on either kit. Also having a butt load of torque downlow isnt going to be much help when all you do is spin the tires. It's similar to picking 3L cams (turbo) over SVT cams (supercharger). I'd say a supercharger would definately be a better 1/4 car unless you find some way to hook up.

This Vortech compressor will supply more than enough air for the low and high boost kits. An upgrade from a low boost kit to a high boost kit will only consist of a different belt routing to fight belt slip. From what I've heard you have two different turbos. One for the 2.5L and one for the 3L which sounds spendy if you were to upgrade. Not trying to bash your kit but since you are pumping your kit in my thread I might as well try to pump mine over yours.

BTW I have a few people interested in testing it out. We should have some numbers from a few different cars soon.

I don't think Joey meant to pump his kit but in response to a couple of comments and questions he really meant to just be sure people weren't comparing a 3L against a 2.5L. It's just the way it comes out sometimes. :D And you are right, your thread, pump your kit all the way!

However, with all that said.... (lol you knew it would happen) People are logically going to compare the two kits. I'm going to start a new thread that will allow people to compare and ask questions. Then we can both answer with our own perspectives.
I think the best selling point of your kit is linear response for traction limitations AND ease of install. I'm sure it has great topend power too.
You've got a real winner there and for some people that is all the power they are going to need. I'm glad you made it.

I don't think Joey meant to pump his kit but in response to a couple of comments and questions he really meant to just be sure people weren't comparing a 3L against a 2.5L. It's just the way it comes out sometimes. :D And you are right, your thread, pump your kit all the way!

However, with all that said.... (lol you knew it would happen) People are logically going to compare the two kits. I'm going to start a new thread that will allow people to compare and ask questions. Then we can both answer with our own perspectives.
I think the best selling point of your kit is linear response for traction limitations AND ease of install. I'm sure it has great topend power too.
You've got a real winner there and for some people that is all the power they are going to need. I'm glad you made it.

Yup, I knew it was going to happen. A new thread would be helpful. Although it will be hard to debate the power numbers until I get some good dyno results. Hopefully that will be soon.

After the Thomas Knight kit I knew I could build something significantly better that actually worked. I figured others would be interested in it to. There is no way I'll make a fortune on these kits. I'd be happy making enough just to pay back what I invested. I can definately see why companies have a hard time making any money on low volume cars like ours. It surprised me how much the parts in a kit actually cost even when working your hardest to find the best price. The turbo may prove to be more profitable based on the turbo vs supercharger head unit costs.

Yeah, I totally understand! My original intent has always been to make my hobby pay for itself. If business takes off then so be it.
A big part of me loves the CSVT still and I want to see all kinds of options out there. When I tell someone I had a CSVT I want people to say "oh yeah, I saw a fast one at the track..." or something like that. Not say "isn't that a rental car..." :mad:
So I hope we can make every decent contour/cougar a lot faster.

Id like to see some pictures of the supercharger kit, I dont want to have to log in over on neco to have to see it.

Both kits should be quality, and im interested to see them both.

I will say Im looking forward to my turbocharged car, but have ridden in a vortech'ed 3 liter and that was a FUN car

Well I guess my statement came across wrong I am no way bashing your kit I have had a turbo car for 4 years and I wouldn't buy a Supercharged car but that is just my personal opinion. So If it came off that way I never meant the statement in that intenion. And if I had intentions on doing so I would have posted comments over at NECO but I not a guy who likes to sell kits by downing the next guys kit. I think you will do very well since you have a nice looking peice and will fit all applications.

And second my stage 2 kit will do more power than a non-intercooler vortec kit so that wouldn't be comparing fairly either. You know as well I know the intercooler and tuning and fuel injectors plus Maf will cost alot no matter what you try to do in reducing cost.

But lets just work together not against each other and make everyone here happy and give them boost. I am not in this for the money I am in it for the appreciation and for the next big project we want to beat.

Good luck to us all. joey

For those that don't want to log into NECO here are some pix:

BTW: The bracket on my car was the prototype bracket. The rest will not have my red markings on it or the extra hole. :)

i rode in blackcoogs car. smooth powerband, no traction through third still. it's got balls, a warranty, and sounds sweet. probably weighs less than the turbo stuff too. i'd put this on my car before a turbo, mostly because i like the powerband, and i already have nitrous if i want the snappy power ;)

The old diesels used to be high-revving 2 stroke engines that had a turbo-fed supercharger. Something like that would be fun to see.

Back