• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pics from addressing CEL code 0401

gooserex

CEG'er
Clogged big time, 221K on the odo and the the passages where completely blocked. I also took the opportunity to clean the TB and file down the tbv plate screws near flush.

Clogged EGR passages...
DSC01780.JPG

Back side of the TB (before)
DSC01773.JPG

And after (not exactly perfect, but hey)
DSC01784.JPG

There was also the address treat of finding out that the linkage between the rear and front secondaries was disconnected, lord only knows how long it's been that way!

DSC01778.JPG

The car idled +500 rpm after the work was completed so she's obviously breathing a lot better now, after resetting the computer everything is nice and crisp feeling now.

The linkage hasn't been addressed yet, I highly doubt I can get the plastic fitting that holds the linkage in place so I'm going to fashion my own out of a plastic grommet and use a c-clip to hold it in place.

That looks familiar. I'm betting you would know if the linkage was broken for long. It certainly was noticeable on my 95 at the time. Also I'm sure it would have helped contribute to the clogging. Nice job cleaning her up looks great. Also maybe check the Canadian tire "help" section in automotives to find a new gromet. I'm sure you can find something somewhere. If not a quick trip to the wrecking yard may suffice.

This thread is making me want to go and clean mine as well... :lol:

Well the TB gasket it only $7 from Part Source (special order, only takes half a day) and time needed was about 2-3 hours take your time. Although I'm not sure if it addressed the issue or not since my CEL went back on again last night, gonna pull the code to see if it's back or if it's something else now.

Any Ford dealership will sell you that grommet; it costs about 5 bucks, which seems excessive, but whatever.

Well that's good news, I couldn't find anything at any of the auto stores around here that looked like it would work.

Oh and Murphy's Law, I misplaced my code reader and can't find it for the life of me, so I have no clue what the code is now. :(

Well I finally found my code reader last night and had a chance to pull the code from the SVT, it turns out it was still posting an 0401 code but that was it. Meh, looks like I'll have to start doing some hunting along the EGR route to see what is still causing the issue...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record or maybe I just missed that you did this but have you repaired the linkage yet? If not then fix it reset and then pull your code if it shows up again.

Hey.. sorry to straggle in to your region... your 401, try the "suck test". Search in the "old forum" under the troubleshooting forum for "suck test". The 401 could be the EGR itself (though rare), the tubing between the EGR and the DPFE, or the DPFE.

Hey.. sorry to straggle in to your region... your 401, try the "suck test". Search in the "old forum" under the troubleshooting forum for "suck test". The 401 could be the EGR itself (though rare), the tubing between the EGR and the DPFE, or the DPFE.

Hey Ray,

Always appreciate the input! It was this thread that lead me to clean out the passages first since it was the easiest (And I figure the TB and passages needed TLC anyways since she just rolled over 220K kms), so as you pointed out I'm on to the suck test and the tubing, thankfully I also have an additional EGR valve in the garage which is half the age of my current one. :)

Cheers!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record or maybe I just missed that you did this but have you repaired the linkage yet? If not then fix it reset and then pull your code if it shows up again.

I probably thought about posting an update but didn't. :p Yes, I picked up two of the grommets from Dixie Ford for $26 CAN and installed them, then I pulled the codes a couple days after. WOW, it's nice to have my SVT back, I forgot what it was like to have ALL the secondary's opening! :p I believe the car had been running like that since last fall!

Last edited:
Hey I realize this is an old thread. But, after seeing the pics of your TB I'm wondering if you also did a complete UIM/LIM cleaning. If not I would highly recommend it.

Hey I realize this is an old thread. But, after seeing the pics of your TB I'm wondering if you also did a complete UIM/LIM cleaning. If not I would highly recommend it.

No, not yet. I MAY get around to this in the summer but since I need my car as a daily driver for work I'm hesitant to get into it. Since performing the work the CEL cleared itself after about a week. Granted it's coming on an off now due to sketch MILS (need to dry them out and, change the o-rings and use some dialectic grease). Otherwise it appears the main issue has been resolved.

Back