• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash warp fix pictures?

Cinder

CEG'er
I just received my factory Ford dash warp fix kit. It is a large metal plate that goes over the warped area around the defroster vent. I wanted to know if anyone had pictures of the finished product. Did you leave it the way it came (black), or did you color match it to the dashboard. It is rather large and would seem to stand out quite a bit on a tan or blue dash.

Another way to fix a warped dash

Another way to fix a warped dash

Link to fix.

I am finished with the dash. Here are some before and after shots. I painted the metal plate that goes over the vent, it comes in black.

Before:

DSC_0102.jpg

After:

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

Looks beautiful! Awesome job.

My 00 has no dash warp at all, but I may look into buying the kit ahead of time so I'm ready to fix it when it does warp.

Looks beautiful! Awesome job.

My 00 has no dash warp at all, but I may look into buying the kit ahead of time so I'm ready to fix it when it does warp.
I'm with you. Mine has some very minor warping (the edges are a little rippled). With my luck, by the time mine actually is warped... Ford will have ceased production of the kit.

I just received my factory Ford dash warp fix kit. It is a large metal plate that goes over the warped area around the defroster vent. I wanted to know if anyone had pictures of the finished product. Did you leave it the way it came (black), or did you color match it to the dashboard. It is rather large and would seem to stand out quite a bit on a tan or blue dash.

Where did you get it from? what did they call it, and how much was it?

Thanks,
AF

Yeah, this is how sweet of a dad I have. I let him borrow the car for a weekend, and he decides to fix the minor dash warp I have, grease up the squeaky door hinges, and fix a license plate screw issue I had.

He cut out some wood wedges and put gorilla glue underneath the dash. Rubberbands were placed on top of the wedges to keep in contact with the windshield without slipping. Seems to be holding up nicely.

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash1.jpg

IF you read the instructions for dash removal it is about a three hour job by yourself. That is considering that you are being careful not to break any connectors or other plastic pieces. One would be wise to take pics along the way to assist in putting it back in.

You may also want to do additional removal to make the process easier like removing the front seats, and steering column.

I found that getting it ready to remove was the hardest part. Then there is always that connector you could'nt see, or reach but you know it is there :shocked:

go for it be adventurous :laugh:

When working on the steering column or removing the passenger side air bag this is the proceedure. It is not necessary to actually remove the air bag to remove the dash, it will come out with it. (connector must be disconnected)

Also I know it says wait 1 minute I usually always wait at least 10 minutes since there are a lot of other things to do in the meantime before messing with any electrical associated with air bags.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).

2. Disconnect positive battery cable and wait one minute for back-up power supply energy to be depleted.

That gorrilla glue didn't hold my dash warp down. Came right back up. That craps like an iceberg. I creeps slowly and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

That is too bad, I for one didn't want to hear that since I was thinking of doing your fix over the long weekend....... but better to find out now than do the work and have it pop up again.

Thanks for telling us

AF

Anyone----> What is the size of the pop rivets used in the kit?? And are they aluminum or steel?

OK, so they are 3/16 and they are aluminum. There are enough that sooner or later one had to turn up in a JY and to top it off the windshield was busted in the wreck. I took a cordless drill and cut the pop's now it's in my garage getting painted.

I also contacted Bill Jenkins at Team Ford about the kit and it is still available if you need one:
1S2Z-5404282-DA List $74.73 Inet $55.65

Regards,
AF

Last edited:
Back