• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

power steering fluid change

bxd20

CEG'er
I want to slowly replace the power steering fluid, and as conveniently as possible. Was planning on siphoning fluid from the reservoir using a turkey baster and then refilling, on a regular basis over several days.

I have read some threads where people have emptied the reservoir completely, while others have advised against that suggesting it could introduce air into the system. Why is this? Is the pickup for the fluid not at the bottom of the reservoir? I don't want any risk of introducing air into the system, even though I do understand the bleeding technique isn't difficult.

Brian
1999 SVT

I want to slowly replace the power steering fluid, and as conveniently as possible. Was planning on siphoning fluid from the reservoir using a turkey baster and then refilling, on a regular basis over several days.

I have read some threads where people have emptied the reservoir completely, while others have advised against that suggesting it could introduce air into the system. Why is this? Is the pickup for the fluid not at the bottom of the reservoir? I don't want any risk of introducing air into the system, even though I do understand the bleeding technique isn't difficult.

Brian
1999 SVT
I can answer that. Just did it recently. If you park with the car on a uphill slope, and the front end is up and rear end down, when you empty the reservoir completely, the hose from the pump to the reservoir will be drained. Then when you fill it up, there will be air in the system. However, there is nothing a good "bleeding" won't do.

If you insist on "emptying" the reservoir (and do not want to mess with "bleeding" the pump), park on a downhill slope with the front on the downhill end and the rear on the uphill end. This way you can empty the reservoir completely and not worry about introducing air into the system.

Stick with the turkey baster method, it is very effective! Also, make sure to use ATF Mercon/Dextron III.

That is correct. :cool:

..........unless you have a 1995 or 1996. You use ATF Type F if you have a 1995 or 1996. Check my signature :laugh:.

Curious, not to steal the thread, but how often would you change the power steering fluid. And would it be o.k. to go synthetic?

baster, yes

baster, yes

I intend to use the baster, HOWEVER it is apparently still possible to introduce air into the system when you completely empty the reservoir with the baster.

The "trick" to me sounds like I can't let the fluid level get past a certain point in the reservoir, and/or park the car downhill.

What I need to do is determine just what that minimum level of fluid is for the reservoir that guarantees air isn't being introduced.

Just leave a little fluid in it or something. You're overthinking it.

And change the PS fluid the same as you change your coolant or automatic trans fluid.

ok

ok

OK, that sounds like good advice. :)

One last question: do you know why the MIN to MAX markings on the power steering fluid reservoir are so close together? It must be only about 1/8".

Compare that to engine oil, ATX, coolant... where you have an inch or more to play within. Just curious!

... do you know why the MIN to MAX markings on the power steering fluid reservoir are so close together? It must be only about 1/8".

Compare that to engine oil, ATX, coolant... where you have an inch or more to play within. Just curious!
Don't really know but I will hazard a wild guess. The others have larger volume capacity. PS fluid reservoir has smaller volume capacity. Filling it too much might cause it to spill out when "pressurized". So, why not get a bigger reservoir? Save money on plastics, space and fluid. Once again, this is a wild guess.

Maybe a Ford designer can post his views? :shrug:

Stick with the turkey baster method, it is very effective! Also, make sure to use ATF Mercon/Dextron III.

question, if ford stopped manufacturing Mercon/Dextron III and now instructs use of Mercon IV for the ATX, wouldnt/shouldnt you follow suit with the Power Steering as well?

question, if ford stopped manufacturing Mercon/Dextron III and now instructs use of Mercon IV for the ATX, wouldnt/shouldnt you follow suit with the Power Steering as well?
The Mercon/Dextron III is still available as an aftermarket fluid. You just don't get to buy the one with the Ford name on it.

I would not change what is specified for the PS pump unless I can't find anymore Mercon/Dextron III for the 1997 to 2000 model years.

I respectfully disagree. Ford says that Mercon V can be used wherever Mercon was previously called for, including power steering and manual transmission.

I know from personal experience that Mercon V works just fine in Ford power steering systems that originally called for Mercon. It also works fine in power steering systems that once called for Type F, but that is not part of Ford's recommendations.

Mobil 1 ATF that is a full synthetic but is Mercon as well as Mercon V rated also works great.

Back