• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Going 3L this weekend, those who have done it read please

front motor mount?

front motor mount?

Apparently you have to pull the heads to remove the svt motor mount? I can't see how else to get it out of there. Then I guess I'll need to grind on it to squeeze it onto the 3L.

On the Escape 3L, people have said that the timing cover can be used (don't have to swap the svt cover on there). I don't see how. I have an 05 Escape motor (build date 11/2004). Firstly, it has a cross piece of metal (to which the escape mount bolts) that is right where the svt ps pump wants to be. Secondly, the way the belts run is totally different - the tensioner is down low by the front of the car and there's an idler up near the right side head.

It works, you just need to alter a couple things.
Erm, okay - what things? I can't find the info anywhere (and not for lack of searching on all of the various incarnations of this board plus other boards plus intarweb in general).

I'm not exactly a newbie to car stuff (this is my 7th motor swap, last one was LS1 in my 240Z). But I generally go for path of least resistance. So, I have an idea of the effort to swap timing covers, and right now, it's looking like maybe less effort than the head-scratching plus mod'ing of the Escape cover. I can see that the thin cross piece has to be cut-off. But the belt routing looks like a project (plus getting the correct size of the belt req'd). For one thing, the AC compressor is still in the car, so figuring out the exact belt layout is an after it's a done deal kind of thing...

Where is PS on the Escape anyway?

The '05 motor uses a different timing cover than the other years. I have a Taurus motor but the timing cover on the '05 was much different than the one of the '02. My guess is that in '05 Ford went to a different timing cover. I just figured that out this weekend in my swap and I have an '05 motor as well. The timing covers are not compatible with our car which means you're going to have to pick up a Contour timing cover.

Duratec Timing Covers

Duratec Timing Covers

Here's my 98 SVT 2.5L:
attachment.php

And here's the 2005 Escape 3.0L:
attachment.php

Attachments

• TimingCoverSVT2.5L.jpg
    TimingCoverSVT2.5L.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TimingCoverEscape3L.jpg
    TimingCoverEscape3L.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Erm, okay - what things? I can't find the info anywhere (and not for lack of searching on all of the various incarnations of this board plus other boards plus intarweb in general).

I'm not exactly a newbie to car stuff (this is my 7th motor swap, last one was LS1 in my 240Z). But I generally go for path of least resistance. So, I have an idea of the effort to swap timing covers, and right now, it's looking like maybe less effort than the head-scratching plus mod'ing of the Escape cover. I can see that the thin cross piece has to be cut-off. But the belt routing looks like a project (plus getting the correct size of the belt req'd). For one thing, the AC compressor is still in the car, so figuring out the exact belt layout is an after it's a done deal kind of thing...

Where is PS on the Escape anyway?

I see, I guess the 05 cover is different the prior ones (like nima posted) work, you just use an escape belt. All the accessories are in the same position as the contour, the idler is the only difference

I see, I guess the 05 cover is different the prior ones (like nima posted) work, you just use an escape belt. All the accessories are in the same position as the contour, the idler is the only difference
Well, no, PS is definitely NOT in the same position. On the SVT, PS is between the heads. This 05 Escape motor has a big fat honkin motor mount bracket there.

I guess I'll just use my SVT cover. This project grows...

Well, no, PS is definitely NOT in the same position. On the SVT, PS is between the heads. This 05 Escape motor has a big fat honkin motor mount bracket there.

I guess I'll just use my SVT cover. This project grows...

Considering I was talking about the pre 05 escape motors it most "definitely" IS in the same position

Back