• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sidemarkers

Sprebound

Veteran CEG'er
I tried going to the VW dealer today to get some sidemarkers and bulb sockets and such. The part numbers on the how to are for audis...obviously. Well, the dealer that is near my house doesn't stock audi parts, and the sidemarkers for the VWs are different. The closest audi dealer is 40 mins away so I didnt even bother running up there thinking that I could just order the parts online. WELL...I can find the turn signals with no problems, but the number for the bulb sockets brings up nothing. Does anyone know if there is a VW number for the bulb socket or a site that has them? I will keep looking around, but I am hoping that someone will be willing to help me out on this.

I gave up as well and ended up going to the Audi dealer (which also isn't too close) for the sockets and bulbs. They did offer to ship it to me, but I wanted to pick them up. I got the smoked sidemarkers off ebay.. and even though they're made by Depo, they look great and fit perfect. It now looks *much* better than the universal sidemarkers the previous owner had put on.

I found this part number:.
N-017-753-4.

I think I found it at AutoZone.

Yeah...but that is the light bulb. I am in need of the bulb socket. The VW dealer has a wiring harness with the socket, but it is $33 for one of them... On the how to, it lists a part # for the socket and it is only supposed to cost a few bucks. Thanks anyways tho...

Yeah...but that is the light bulb. I am in need of the bulb socket. The VW dealer has a wiring harness with the socket, but it is $33 for one of them... On the how to, it lists a part # for the socket and it is only supposed to cost a few bucks. Thanks anyways tho...

Oops. Sorry 'bout that.

yea same here!! I have the housings but didint buy the sockets cause at the time I couldnt fathm spending $33 on one socket. Im gonna hit up a few junkyards first as Brian did..

yea same here!! I have the housings but didint buy the sockets cause at the time I couldnt fathm spending $33 on one socket. Im gonna hit up a few junkyards first as Brian did..

me or some other Brian? I got mine used and they came with the sockets and bulbs ...

Well...I ended up buying a set of sidemarkers off of ebay for $15. The sockets are included so I won't have to worry about that anymore. I really wanted the smoked ones, but the housings were the long rectangular ones that wouldn't fit without drilling out the panel...so I am thinking of maybe using some of my leftover VHT NiteShades on em. I dunno if that would come out ok or not tho. I'd be afraid that they would be too dark to be functional anymore...and whats the point of that eh? I will get some pics up as soon as I get em in.

Well...I ended up buying a set of sidemarkers off of ebay for $15. The sockets are included so I won't have to worry about that anymore. I really wanted the smoked ones, but the housings were the long rectangular ones that wouldn't fit without drilling out the panel...so I am thinking of maybe using some of my leftover VHT NiteShades on em. I dunno if that would come out ok or not tho. I'd be afraid that they would be too dark to be functional anymore...and whats the point of that eh? I will get some pics up as soon as I get em in.
I may be wrong, but I think both the rectangular (newer) and square (older) sidemarkers require some kind of additional work -- either trimming the sidemarkers, or enlarging the fender hole. The niteshades might turn out ok.... at least the smoked housings will still be on ebay if they don't turn out the way you want them. The smoked ones are actually pretty dark... but the bulb is still plenty bright, even when resistored.

I may be wrong, but I think both the rectangular (newer) and square (older) sidemarkers require some kind of additional work -- either trimming the sidemarkers, or enlarging the fender hole. The niteshades might turn out ok.... at least the smoked housings will still be on ebay if they don't turn out the way you want them. The smoked ones are actually pretty dark... but the bulb is still plenty bright, even when resistored.

yes, refer to the how-to on the install ...the side marker comes with a clip on it ... to have to do minimal work to the fender the clip needs to be removed and the sidemarker thined down to fit the whole in the fender as is, otherwise you ahve to open the fender up ...

Right, the reason I went with the ones like in the how to is because there would be less drilling...if it is going to be required. I don't mind trimming the plastic off the light housing at all, but if I ever wanna take them back off again, I wanna be able to cover up the hole. If I were to go with the rectangular housings, I would have to really open up the metal a lot. I am still kinda half n half on the niteshades...I honestly don't know if it would look good... Functionality takes priority over looks in this case.

why have sidemarkers if they are gonna be smoked? leave them the way they are. I plan on using an LED light. I like the clear look of the lens..

IMG_0378.jpg

incase you guys wanna know the part numbers and misc. pics

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

The previous owner put universal white sidemarkers on my car, which is black. Most of the other parts of my car are now dark/black, and I thought those little white ovals looked ghey. The smoked markers are sexy! I also redid all the wiring... and snapped some pics. My intent is to revise the existing error filled howto (in regards to wiring). I had to read all the threads in the old forums and archives to get my electronics answers... figured someone else trying to do the dual stage markers shouldn't have to go through that.

has anyone found a place or know where you can pick these up in a crystal clear lens i.e. w/out the fluting???

I was looking at the VW jetta type that are clear, however, the back is raised so it would not lay flush on the fender.

Back