• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Somone hit my baby

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
Went downtown today for an appointment, parked on the side of the road. About an hour later i come outside to see my front bumper all scratched :cry: . Looks like someone cut the corner coming in or something. No note.. Nothing..:mad:

Looks like i can fix it myself. Going to have to pull the bumper off myself and paint it myself.

I need some advice tho, how should i strip the exsiting paint off the bumper?

Im thinking ill get all the old paint off, then ill use some bondo and fill in the scratches on the bumper along with some other problem. Sand it down, prime. Paint. Clear.

My buddy has a paint gun i'll probably use. Anyone have any advice for this? i would REALLY love for it to look like a professional job.

You have to admit, the timing, whether coincidental or karmic, is pretty damn funny! Still, for someone to do that to a car and not leave a note is pretty effed up. Sorry to hear it, regardless of any differences I might have with you.

As far as sanding the paint completely off, unless it is actually flaking off the bumper you shouldn't have to do that. Just make sure you do scuff the old paint up to give it some "tooth" so the new paint has something to grip to.

i know how you feel...some D-bag hit me in a parking lot on the front bumper. he moved the damn car about a foot to the right when he hit me. no note, no nothing...i was fuming :mad: . luckly the car was already wrecked and the bumper needed re-painting...but still

id deffinatly remove the old paint...or at least sand it all smooth. the guy who did my bumper didnt do that and although its not very noticable...you can still see some of the cracks in certain light

good luck

Went downtown today for an appointment, parked on the side of the road. About an hour later i come outside to see my front bumper all scratched :cry: . Looks like someone cut the corner coming in or something. No note.. Nothing..:mad:

nelson.gif

you don't need to strip the entire bumper. Too much work, most likely wouldn't blend with the fenders and hood if you did that. The ABS plastic is kindof on the soft side, so don't use anything coarser than 180 grit paper to sand it down. If the scratches aren't too deep, you might be able to get by with sanding alone and no filler. Use finer grit, 320 - 1000 for final smoothing.

If you go 6 - 8 onches around the damage that should give you a blend area. To avoid any sharp lines between the old and new paint make sure that the edges of the layers underneath fade nicely into each other. No distinct layers.

Hopefully the pics will give you an idea of what to look for.

DSC00103-1.jpg

DSC00037-1.jpg

Looks and sounds good. Ill be doing this in the spring so it dosent get owned by all the rocks on the road.

Plus my front bumper was pretty chipped and messed up already so ill probably be doing most of the front to make it look better.

Should i clear the entire thing once it's painted? Or should i just do the newly painted area.

LMGDAO! Hmm the homeless comments have come full circle. Got Karma?

You have to admit, the timing, whether coincidental or karmic, is pretty damn funny! Still, for someone to do that to a car and not leave a note is pretty effed up. Sorry to hear it, regardless of any differences I might have with you.

everyone beat me to it.. no hard feelings though.. i'm always upset to see another guys CSVT getting hurt

The painted area will need to be cleared, yes.

One more thing I forgot, when you sand it down, don't let the coarser grit sandpaper get to the plastic. It will make more work for you to do and it's a PITA, I know.

The painted area will need to be cleared, yes.

One more thing I forgot, when you sand it down, don't let the coarser grit sandpaper get to the plastic. It will make more work for you to do and it's a PITA, I know.

I need to fill in some of the spots with Bondo filler anyways. The bottom of the bumper has some road rash that needs work too, and like i said, the rock chips on the lower part need to be fixed.

When you paint, should i paint evenly over the non affected areas, or should i just do a LIGHT dusting?

I know that anywhere, it was a minivan or an suv. Prolly a dumb blonde with her sunglasses on,... only good for one thing, and it has nothing to do with her brain...sorry about that man, in terms of painting the entire thing, are you going to do it right away?

Back