• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT airbox in Mondeo ST200??

Schem

CEG'er
In my ST200, someone (I don't know if it was stolen/changed in Garage, or someone did it expediently) switched original airbox (with two intakes, wider diameter, screws instead clips, tec, etc) with "civilian" one from 2.5 V6 170 Hp.
Here's the picture of my setup:

And here some differences between ST200 and regular airbox (taken from here :
http://www.mondeoklubpolska.pl/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54127

Some interesting details here:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=22244

In Poland, Ford do not sell this part anymore. It's obsolete...
I'm searching it (I want all my 205 horses back). Maybe I'll buy it somewhere.

But maybe there is another possibility...
I'm thinking of mounting SVT cone airbox + filter.

I don't want CAI or some exotic solutions... Just a piece of stock stuff.
If I see, that the ride is OK, I coul'd make some improvements.

So, the question is, if it's possible to buy stock SVT intake, how much it costs (in the e-shops I found air filters only), and what else should I change to make it work.
In ST200 there's one intake from the fender, hoses and throtle body made by SVT... so everything else should fit, I need just airbox... Am I right?

P.S. Thanx for moving this thread to the right place :)
I could not write here by myself (privilages?)
my.php

from looking at your pic it looks like you just need the filter and airbox. Does your car have the fender snorkle/tube?

You are probably going to have to buy a used airbox, I doubt you will be able to track down a new Svt one.

hi schem i have 2 new st200 airbox here a pic
pearl024.jpg
if this is the air box in the pic your after

Does your car have the fender snorkle/tube?
Yes, of course.
The second picture (the one after my engine bay) shows the difference between ST200 and regular one, exactly from the fender side.
So, the hole is connected to the fender.

The rest of parts looks similar to SVT??
It will be very good if I need box and filter only... :D

You are probably going to have to buy a used airbox, I doubt you will be able to track down a new Svt one.
:)
I hope to buy the used one... but how much it cost and if it's easy to find?
I'm not from the US, so I have to ask someone...

Minty1964 - we are in touch via PM. Just let me know the price :)
We'll see which option is cheaper.

The SVT one is a cylinder shape box with a cylinder shape filter. From looking at your pics though I don't see why it wouldn't work

And the hole shape in SVT's fender? Will it fit to mine? Or I need fender tube from SVT, too
And again, is it easy to buy in the US, and how much it costs...
I can't find in the e-shops.

Before I ask my family to send me one, I'd like to know if it's also obsolete, and they have to search junkyards, or I can get new one... :)

The hole is round on the air box and fender snorkle. You won't be able to get a new one, gonna have to track down a used one.

I would sell mine for around $20, I'm sure shipping is going to cost you more than the actual airbox.

Search through the pic and video section, there is an engine bay thread in there that should have plenty of pics so you can have a better idea of how it's set up

The hole is round on the air box and fender snorkle.
So, maybe I also need box --> snorkle connection... Or McGuyver skills :)

I would sell mine for around $20, I'm sure shipping is going to cost you more than the actual airbox.

The problem is, that I can't buy one in Poland, even used one...
So, why not to try an SVT option?

Shipping will cost several bucks, but if it's $30-40 and you put also 2 or 3 paper filters... I'm in ;)
I can wait even couple of weeks and choose ground shipping US Postal... if I spend ca. $100 total, it's OK :laugh:

OK, thanks to primalzer1998 and imnotacop420, I finally put SVT Airbox.
There is a difference between connection of european box and SVT to the flowmeter. So I had to use some kind of gasket... I had only red silicone :shrug:

After that, it looks like at the picture

And now, the question is... if it should be somehow connected to the fender snorkel, like it was before (small piece of gum):

Because the old way was oval, and now it's round, I can't use the old part...
Can someone post a picture of the original CSVT intake?
It's connected, isn't it?
Otherwise, it takes hot air from the engine area...

Ride sounds a way better (like V6 should) and rides better at low rpms.
At high rpms it's similar to what it was before...
From 2000 rpms at 5th gear (50 mph) up to 120 mph at the same part of road it takes right now 2 seconds less. 1'14'' before and 1'12'' now.
But 2 seconds can not be the proof - even temperature could change the score, I think...

So... the airbox is not the weakest point, or I'll see the difference after make connection with the fender :D

Hi Schem; you could buy a piece of aftermarket flexible pipe... squash it so it passes through the inner wing (no hacking your pride and joy) ...and run the pipe down to the bumper. I did that to a stock airbox and it gives much better throttle response. like this kind of thing ..G.

Thanx for your response. :D

I was thinking of the pipe also, but there's about 2'' between the end of the airbox and the snorkel entrance (in fender) and about 4-5'' lower... Piece of plastic pipe I had in my garage was not so flexible :D
And it's hard to put wide pipe there (I'd like to use minimum as wide as airbox entrance is)

But this week I'll search for really flexible piece of pipe...
Did you put it into fender in the place of original snorkel?
I was thinking rather of connection between the snorkel and airbox...but...maybe it's better way...to do it from the beggining :D

So... stock snorkel off, and make my own one... like elephant has? :D

what i did was take off the wheel arch liner (the back of your hands will thank you) and threaded enough pipe length through the hole to reach the airbox and put a zip tie round it. Then i threaded the pipe down to the front bumper (past the foglight and evaporator). I also cut a hole in the bottom of my stock ST24 airbox and ran another pipe down to the front bumper. I then made a box that fitted between the bumper and the crash foam and put it behind the lower grille and faced it so that it scooped the air. I connected the pipes to the back of it and hey presto !! ... one pressurised airbox. It works really well at faster cruising speeds...the car overtakes really well without changing down a gear. You wont need the second pipe but you could have done that with the ST200 one. I'd be interested to know how you find that SVT airbox with its' cone filter. ...G.

Yesterday, I bought a piece of flexible, 8 cm diameter, round pipe, put original snorkel out, and install this pipe - one end in the space behind the lamp (like original) and the other to the airbox.

I found on the net, that in case of 2.5 liter engine, the right diameter is 8 cm (Now it is clear, why SVT egineers made 8 cm entrance to the cone filter airbox), that's why I use this pipe.
I put the stripe over it, to fix it better.

And...
The engine is quiet again... and before the pipe, it was like V8 at full throtle :D
Compare to my previous airbox, it sound better, now.
Because the intake is longer (because of the pipe) the low rpms are worse... but high are better, than before pipe. The shorter intake is, the better torque at lower rpm, but weak power at high rpms, that's known...

I drove about 30 km (19 miles) only, so I can't tell much more, yet

But I'm thinking right now about this box, to make pressurized intake... That's interesting...
Do you have some pictures, or drawings?
I'd like to see how exactly you solve water flush problem...

Hi Schem; i can get a photo of the box through the grille. As for the water flush problem... well even in hard rain i have had no problems with water going up the pipes. I haven't seen any evidence of water in the airfilter box either. I wouldn't advise driving through water that submerges the box in the grille. If you had to in an emergency... then lift the bonnet and take the lid off the airfilter box so it doesn't suck down the pipe... G. edit. OK i took some pictures but you can only just make out the ends of the pipes. I'll try to draw something tomorrow on the other computer..

Back