• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.5 Swap

Toddio

CEG'er
Has anyone looked into the feasibility of the new 3.5L swap? Besides the obvious cost considerations of the new 3.5, how much more would be required. They should start to become available soon :shrug: . Next comes the 3.5 with EcoBoost! :laugh:

I'm thinking the wiring up along would make it such a custom project that it wouldnt be feasible.
Wiring shouldn't kill the project. It's time consuming, but as long as you have the needed components from both vehicles, it's do-able. Could also always go with a custom megasquirt set-up, but that would not be the best solution. What about mounts, MTX compatibility, mounting, etc? Is the 3.5 actually the same dimensions as the 2.5/3.0? It is a Duratec I believe. 265 HP/250 lb-ft. on 87 octane! Yeah baby!

Why wouldnt it be? You get to cut out all the crap you really dont need from the factory in the first place.
I'm not real familiar with the megasquirt, but I have a feeling it would have problems coping with the VCT. You could find the optimal setting for the cams and 'lock' them there, but that wouldn't be a good set-up either. I'm sure someone could make a megasquirt that could deal with it, but that would take lots of time = big $$$.

megasquirt would have no issues w/the vct system. its a full standalone(can be piggy backed as well)

ahh.. but fabbing up a 3.5 is going to be a very simple thing... gotcha.
I see your point. My reasoning is that if one has the 3.5 available, they would have all the ancilliary components to go with. Most people, even those with very good mechanical skills would require someone to build the megasquirt for them, but would otherwise be able to swap out a harness, fuel pump, etc. I never said it would be simple, but no sense in making it more difficult. This was just a response to wiring being a limitation. I'd think that would be the least limitation. Lots of ways around it. ;-)

This topic has been discussed ad nausem.the 3.5 duratec is completely different design than our duratec,the new motor is of mazda design,not PES.IIRC the new 3.5 is WAY to tall to fit under the hood of the tour.

This topic has been discussed ad nausem.the 3.5 duratec is completely different design than our duratec,the new motor is of mazda design,not PES.IIRC the new 3.5 is WAY to tall to fit under the hood of the tour.
See, that's all I wanted to hear. I did a search but it came up blank. Thanks!

Actually it is currently being done people...

I just was talking with TH at the dyno today for SZ08 and they are putting it in a car. The biggest task of the whole thing is the wiring. The 3.5L Duratec uses two ECM's. One for the engine and the other to run all of the instruments in the car. The engine is out of a Lincoln MKZ (I believe). They are using the ECM for the engine, but the harness is being modified to provide the stock cars ECM with the correct signals to allow for the instrument cluster to function correctly. When everything is complete there will be postings I'm sure over on fordcontour.org

It will not be cheap people especially with the amount of work to get he harness to function correctly for the car.

So the "it won't work because of VVT" can be put to rest. End of story.

Actually it is currently being done people...

I just was talking with TH at the dyno today for SZ08 and they are putting it in a car. The biggest task of the whole thing is the wiring. The 3.5L Duratec uses two ECM's. One for the engine and the other to run all of the instruments in the car. The engine is out of a Lincoln MKZ (I believe). They are using the ECM for the engine, but the harness is being modified to provide the stock cars ECM with the correct signals to allow for the instrument cluster to function correctly. When everything is complete there will be postings I'm sure over on fordcontour.org

It will not be cheap people especially with the amount of work to get he harness to function correctly for the car.

So the "it won't work because of VVT" can be put to rest. End of story.

We all definitely need to keep updated on this. This could be quite a big deal if there becomes and easier way to do the swap.

well im sure once its done once it will get easier to do, and the more people that do it the more cheaper/easier it will get. im sure everyone who did a 3l swap would get mad though :laugh:

well im sure once its done once it will get easier to do, and the more people that do it the more cheaper/easier it will get. im sure everyone who did a 3l swap would get mad though :laugh:

The problem is, there wont be more people doing it. I'd say if this one does happen to be pulled off, it will probably be the only one since not all of us have $20K+ to drop a 3.5L in.

FWIW, I hope its getting a rwd conversion too. People have already reached the traction limits of a 3.0L.

lol well i didnt know it would cost around 20k :p so yeah youre right. 20k is a nice brand new car or close to it anyways. heck you could even pay your mortgage for a year

Back