• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to add auto down to passenger door

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Auto down for front passenger side door (revised 8/07) 11/11/06

For 95- 00 Tours, & Stiques..... I just completed an Auto Down harness for the passenger door window. This process is fairly easy to do. You will need an extra drivers side harness from any year with the black connector and four pin brown auto down relay. These are available at your local junk yard. Prices vary, the ones I got were $7 ea.
Things to consider when choosing a donor harness:
Why not get one that has additional features that you may not have. For example door handle switch for interior lights (black connector rear bottom of door), lighted key cylinder (white connector next to black connector rear bottom of door), heated mirrors (mirror connector w/ 5 wires). Adding these items to the harness you are working on anyway, for future projects, simplifies things, and makes them plug n play. If you don't do them that is no problem either they are just unused.

There is already a mounting hole in the door for this relay since in Europe it is the driver’s side.
AD drivers dr.jpg
AD pass dr.jpg

Useful information:
Connector pin-outs:
Master Switch (95-97, others similar):
Connector "A" White: #1 white/purple - pass front up. #2 yellow/purple - pass front down. #3 white - pass rear up. #4 yellow - pass rear down. #5 not used. #6 white - driver up (to window motor connector up). #7 yellow/green - driver down (to auto relay connector pin #3). #8 white/blue - driver rear up. #9 yellow/blue - driver rear down. #10 orange/blue - light.

Connector "B" black: #1 purple/blue - power to rear windows (from cut off switch). #2 purple/blue - power from fuse panel (40 amp). #3 black – ground. #4 not used.

Motor Connector: yellow - to relay connector pin #5 (driver down), white - to master switch connector "A" pin #6 (driver up).

Auto Down Relay Connector: #1 black - ground, #2 Purple/orange - power (splices into purple/blue to master switch connector "B" pin #2), #3 yellow green - from master switch pin #7 (driver down), #4 not used, #5 yellow - to motor connector (down), #6 not used, #7 not used.

Connectors: To remove a wire, first remove the red retainer by using the small screw driver and pushing in slightly on the clips at the sides. You can see the red retainers, push in and up. The retainer will start to lift a bit then pry it the rest of the way out. Once that is done, the clip is held in place by a plastic clip inside the connector. Raise it up with the dental pick and use the screwdriver to help twist it out of position and down.
PIC00001.jpg

Materials needed:
Donor drivers side harness, any year with brown four-wire relay & black connector.
Passenger side harness same as your year Tour (optional, you can use yours).
Sharp pointed scissors, or small knife.
Wire cutters.
Small screwdriver.
Dental pick.
Soldering gun.
Shrink tubing.
Crimp splices 12-16ga (blue), & 18-22ga (red).
Roll of electrical tape.

The Process:
Removing relay:
1)Remove the wrapping as needed from the donor harness. *Hint* note position relay tees off main part of harness.
Pass and Driv harness.jpg
Cut wraper.jpg
2) Trace out the four wires coming from the AD relay connector.

continued

Last edited:
AD continued

AD continued

3) Cut the wires as long as possible, and / or remove the ends from the connectors.
3.1 black wire runs into a splice, cut it off there up close.
3.2 purple / orange wire runs to the master switch, cut it close to the connector.
3.3 yellow / green wire goes to the master switch, cut it close to the connector, or remove it from the connector to reinstall in passenger harness.
AutoDn relay and wires.jpg
3.4 yellow wire, just cut the white wire and the motor connector is free. Now you can cut the yellow wire or remove it from the connector. * Hint* practice on the white wire first.

4) Remove wrapping on passenger harness as necessary.
Cut wraper.jpg
5) Lay up relay wires in position along side harness and note proper positioning.

Installing relay:
6) I usually start with the motor connector wires, by either matching and splicing, or as I prefer, removing the yellow wire from the donor connector, and the yellow / purple wire from both pass harness connectors. Then install the yellow green wire into the window switch connector, and the yellow wire in the motor connector. These are in lieu of each end of the removed yellow / purple wire. When complete this helps to properly locate the position of the remaining wires and the tee position.
PIC00002.jpg
7) Fit and splice purple / orange wire to purple/white power wire.
8) Fit and splice black wire to black ground wire.
PIC00003.jpg
9) Rewrap harness as needed and install.
AD relay install.jpg

FINIS:
10) Enjoy an adult beverage, play with the switches, and watch the window go down from either side ;-D

This can be done to the rear windows too, one only needs to figure out a location to mount the relay.

Now that you have done this let’s think AUTO UP. Can be done using another similar relay attached in similar fashion to the up side of the motor connector. I have made this harness up and in tests it works properly, but not installed it yet. For the installation part, I cut out a section of a door at the JY that included the mounting hole and plan on installing it in the area of the larger access hole toward the rear of the driver’s door. It is on the list of things to do.

Feel free to contact me with your questions, or comments.

Regards,
Bob Millican / Aussie Ford
Alpha924@hotmail.com

Last edited:
ill be honest i havent looked yet but has anyone figured out how to do the new auto up and down on the front windows?...before i have a bash at it my install buddy said it would be easy. he has all up and down on his taurus

The same relay for the auto down would work for the up, and could be installed in all of the window harnesses. The only issue is where to mount it in the doors. I have made up that harness, as a test, and it works just fine. One thing to remember that in the auto up mode it only stops by resistance pressure, so it is possible to get some undesireable item caught in the window. Just something to think about especially if you have kids.

Proceed with caution!

Regards,
AF

no kids...thank gosh. not for a while. but i was pampered for a few weeks in my dads loaded 03 pathfinder and it has auto up and down windows. ive found myself getting in my car and trying to use the auto up and down function that doesnt exist on my car...yet. i want to give it a shot. you said the same relays for down can be used for up. do you mean use two relays? i havent read over the install yet so i will get back to you when i have that question strait.

I plan on doing this to my SVT very shortly. I was going to do it before and actually had a few extra relays/wiring harnesses laying around with the intention of doing this.

Now that I don't have to figure out what to wire where, this should be nice and easy... :D

Well please check it out and let us know.... It would be kinda cool if we could just send each other a driver side harness :laugh:

But I still want one of you power driver seats :laugh:

Regards,
AF

Just finished getting the wiring harness set up. Relay is now spliced in and harness is ready to be installed!

Unfortunately, I think i'll have to wait until tomorrow to put it in as I won't have time today... :(

I can't wait to install this!

I still have to look into changing my driver's door into one touch/auto down. I have power windows, but I never had the panel off to notice if there is a auto down relay. I can get an auto switch easily.

I was a little confused until I started working on it. Reading through it there were a few sections that I was confused about. Once I pulled out the wiring harnesses and started adding in the extra relay, it all made sense.

Took me about 40 minutes to install the relay into my spare harness and about 45 minutes to install the harness in the door panel.

But, it worked on the first try and I absolutely love the mod! Thanks for the how-to!

Thanks for the feedback, any suggestions as to how it could be clearer? To me you really do need to have a harness in your hand to understand what to do.

I am glad I could contribute to the folks here with a useful mod :laugh:

Regards,
AF

Hmm... Since all I had was the relay with the wires snipped just before the wire get wrapped into the main drivers harness, I skipped the first part. What I did was jumped right to I think step 6 and then unwrapped the new passenger harness from the switch down to the window motor plug.

After I had the harness unwrapped, I cut the motor wire right by where it goes to the main harness and is bent around. This is where I spliced in the harness. I don't know that this makes it any easier but it does save you from needing to replace the wire that goes to the switch.

Where the window motor wires go into the main harness there is also a good place to tap into ground and the purple/white power wire for the relay...

did you solder or use machanical splices? as long as you get it hooked up right and it works nothing else matters much,...... enjoy :laugh:

AF

I soldered it in... I always solder things, don't know why I just feel that if I solder it, i'll never have to worry about the connection.

Back