• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

got PC

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
i just bought a Porter Cable 7424. now what size backing plate should i get for hook and loop Velcro pads? 4", 6"?

for pads i seem to like lake country.
- yellow heavy cutting
- orange light cutting
- white finish polishing
- Grey finishing/ no cutting

also before i was going to do it by hand and use the following:
- clay
meguiars mirror glaze
cleaner- #9
polish- #7
seal- #21

but now i have the PC. I'm not going to use zaino.

my car is t-red and has swirls and light scratches along with some heavy ones. what products would you recommend???
i don't want to use carnuba. i like synthetic. my goal is to cut through those swirls and work my way up to a high gloss then seal.

UPDATE: now i dont know what pads to get. theres ccs pads and ones for scratch resistent clear coats.

i was looking at the menzerna products and they look nice. but i still want everyones input that uses a PC.

Last edited:
Welcome to the PC club!:cool:

I use 6.5" Meguiars pads w/ a 6.5" backing plate. If you're looking to order some new products, I would recommend Meguiar's #83 and #80. #83 will remove swirls and #80 will do the final clean-up/polish. Follow up w/ #21 for a very nice look.

I got a Sonus backing plate from Autopia and it broke after doing 2 cars. I replaced it with the Lake Country plate and it seems much more solid.

At some point you can add the 4" to your arsenal to get to smaller parts of the car. I need to do this at some point.

thanks guys. I'm going to be looking around and doing more research on products. I'm still open to opinions.

ok so i have a few questions about the mirror glaze.
Will i need anything as far as polishing after #80? 80 seems kinda heavy for a finishing polish. maybe 82 would be a better finishing polish?
heres what i have so far:
#
1: 83
2: 80
3: 3
4: 21

With the PC, you can actually go from #83 to sealant w/ no swirls! I recently detailed my Focus (pics to follow shortly) and was amazed at the finish #83 leaves if worked in long enough to break down the polishing oils. #80 leaves a bit more gloss, so that's why I usually choose to follow up #83. If you want an intermediate step after #80, try either #82 or #81. In my opinion, the 80 series is a little more user friendly than the single digit products (which were developed for single stage paint, but can also be used on BC/CC paints). The single digit products tend to dust more in my opinion.

For my monthly details, I just use #80 and #21 and all 3 of my vehicles remain swirl free w/ that combo:cool:

thanks man!
so with #3 I'm not going to see a benefit?

I'm getting ready to order everything.

Last edited:
Jon man ChemicalGuys.com will out do meguiars anyday..But theres still them folks out there that will swear by them..Order up some of the polishs and sealants etc that i sent you last night as well as they pads they have that you like and found to be alot cheaper from them..

thanks man!
so with #3 I'm not going to see a benefit?

I'm getting ready to order everything.

I've never used #3, so I can't comment on what sort of finish it will leave. I have used #1, #2, and #7 and find them more difficult/messy to use than #83, #80, and #81. If you decide to try #3, let me know how it turns out!

yes if i get it i will tell you how well it works. i was going to apply it with a non cutting pad.

Joe after looking through the chem guys site they just don't have what i want in smaller bottles. but i will be buying my backing plate, pads and towels from them. unless i find lake country pads cheaper.

after i figure out what products I'm getting and then use them i will make a list of them and what my experience was with them.

I'm also wanting to learn about Menzerna.

from what i have gathered it would go something like this.

- intensive polish W/ orange pad (is this to aggressive?)
- final polish II W/ white pad
- finishing touch glaze W/ non cutting pad
- FMJ W/ i don't know lol (hand, PC?)

AGAIN: my t-red paint is glossy but has some swirls and web marks along with some light and deeper scratches. i know my trunk lid needs the intensive polish. IMO
thanks everyone.

I'm also wanting to learn about Menzerna.

from what i have gathered it would go something like this.

- intensive polish W/ orange pad (is this to aggressive?)
- final polish II W/ white pad
- finishing touch glaze W/ non cutting pad
- FMJ W/ i don't know lol (hand, PC?)

AGAIN: my t-red paint is glossy but has some swirls and web marks along with some light and deeper scratches. i know my trunk lid needs the intensive polish. IMO
thanks everyone.

Try final polish II W/ white pad. Always use least abrasive first.

yes if i get it i will tell you how well it works. i was going to apply it with a non cutting pad.

Joe after looking through the chem guys site they just don't have what i want in smaller bottles. but i will be buying my backing plate, pads and towels from them. unless i find lake country pads cheaper.

Go on there site and look under 16oz they have all you need but in a smaller size and cheaper price..Im telling you man you wont regret buying anything from these guys..Atleast try one of there products..PLEASE..

i did look in the 16oz and not all of there stuff is offered in that size. (from what i saw)

No not everything but give them a call and ask for PAUL..And he will help you out in anyway you need man you want a 16oz of somthing that isnt there im more than sure he'll help you out..90% of there product of offered in a 16oz

Back