• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new 3L'd svtc

troll96se

Veteran CEG'er
drove up to 99mystiqueATX's house friday morning, by about 1pm we started tearing into the car, we called it a night at about 12am. At that point we had my motor out, engine bay cleaned, trans swapped onto the 3L, harness converted and pretty much ready for the next morning.
we started working around 8am saturday and by about 3 we had it in the car and ready to run, unfort that didnt happen until a little after 5pm, lol, we wont talk about that though! the swap went realtivly easily, no stubborn bolts, e0 harness was in surprisingly good shape. the only thing we ran into was the NPG fuel rail adaptor, go figure right. the bracket for the oem fuel lines wasnt cut right to allow both lines to go into the adaptor block. by about 6 i headed to Adam from Pops Racing place to have it tuned. after about 5-5.5 hours we had it dialed in. Overall, the swap wasnt as bad as i expected and i'm in love with the car all over again, its a night and day difference in any gear at any rpm.

the build consisted of:

Full 04 Taurus 3L
Coil on plug with powder coated valve covers
optimized and powder coated 3L throttle body
kkim maf adaptor and open filter(the filter caused alot of tuning issues bc of turbulence,presumably with the hood)
NPG fuel rail adaptor
24lb injectors
e1 injector harness with e0 o2 sensors harness soldered on
front and rear 94a filled roll resistors
LUK svt clutch and TOB
resurfaced and lightened SVT flywheel
MSDS headers
weapon R ypipe
ss cat pipe w/maggy "cat"
and tuning done by Adam from Pops Racing

some pics:

on the way to andys place, last trip with the 2.5
005-8.jpg

the donor car..

046.jpg

008-8.jpg

011-7.jpg

032.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

cleaning up the engine bay, ford really did a "great" job painting these engine bays....
037.jpg

Andy doing work!!(and he did alot)

036.jpg

getting ready to drop in ....

038-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

042-1.jpg

all bolted up!
044.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

DONE!!!
052.jpg

wanted to get some while it was being tuned, but he didnt want me to take pics of the screen so i didnt bother...all i can tell you is if you need a STRONG tune contact pops racing in rochester ny.

i cant thank andy for the amazing deal and adam for the late night tuning on his day off, both great guys.

i'm a believer in a real world tune. so it was tuned on the road, about 5 hours worth. no dyno numbers. my guess is more than my svt had on friday.

So I was over at Adam's today and he says I need to ride in the car now. Sounds like it pulls real well and he netted you some great low-end torque. Enjoy!

EDIT: We'll have to do a dyno day and see what kinda numbers you put down. I'd like to get on the dyno once I get the Vortech car's tune dialed in and after I swap out the trans and stuff. BTW, it's up and running and seems to run well.

yeah, he said a few times during the night that he had it better dialed in in my car. i'm in for a dyno day!
that cougar is going to be a beast when you're done with it.

Great job guys. Good to see members meeting up and working together. 3L feels good right?! Lol

Great job guys. Good to see members meeting up and working together. 3L feels good right?! Lol

yeah, i miss the old CEG days where we actually had meets and worked on cars..
the 3l feels great, takes some getting use to, i wish we had put the borla on though....3L+headers+bassani does NOT sound good inside the car.

its fine on the highway, has a nice quiet hum, around town or anytime the rpms are below 3200 the drone is unbearable...looking to get a borla or something.

Awesome work guys.
Would love to do that to mine but tools and knowledge r limited. Would love to pay someone to help me!! ;)

I have mini SVT meets at my house probably once a week. I have 2 friends in the area with SVT's that stop by so we can work on them. In fact, this weekend or next weekend, we're having a Carlisle prep weekend for the SVT's before the first big show of the year.

I have mini SVT meets at my house probably once a week. I have 2 friends in the area with SVT's that stop by so we can work on them. In fact, this weekend or next weekend, we're having a Carlisle prep weekend for the SVT's before the first big show of the year.

I live in SW Mi. and know no one to actually trust to work on it.
I do what I can with what resources I have.

Car is absolutely sick troll!!

Back