• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

mazda 6 3L dmd

doomsayer559

CEG'er
Im looking to replace my damper due to a pretty good wobble and am wanting to know if the fluidampr dmd will work on the 2.5l? Just wanting someone to give me confirmation. Thanks!

Its should, the stock 2.5L pulley fits onto the 3L. So I see no reason why the Fluidampr wouldn't...

Yes it will. I confirmed it with Fluidampr. However I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the Ford DMD damper... it's about half the cost of the Fluidampr and will provide you with what your after. No sense in going with the Fluidampr unless your planning on reving the hell out of your engine or doing some serious interal work (which even in itself doesn't justify a Fluidampr). I'm actually working on a group buy price with a company and will be posting the details in the GB forum so keep an eye out.

And for reference...

Ivan @ Fluidampr said:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your interest in Fluidampr products and services. I apologize for the delay, I have been out of the office since last week and the form mails were still being directed to my email.

You are correct; our Mazda damper part # 571001 should work for your application. It will fit the following applications:

FITS FOLLOWING MODELS WITH 2.5L/3.0L DOHC DURATEC V6 ONLY

FORD CONTOUR (1999 - 2000)
FORD CONTOUR GL (1995 - 1998)
FORD CONTOUR LX (1995 - 1998)
FORD CONTOUR SE (1995 - 1998)
FORD CONTOUR SPORT (1996 - 1997)
FORD CONTOUR SVT (1998 - 2000)
FORD ESCAPE (2001 - 2005)
FORD ESCAPE LIMITED (2006 - 2007)
FORD ESCAPE XLT (2006 - 2007)
FORD FUSION (2003-2009)
LINCOLN ZEPHYR 2006
MAZDA 6 (2003 - 2008)
MAZDA MPV (2000 - 2001)
MAZDA MPV (2003 - 2006)
MAZDA TRIBUTE 2001
MAZDA TRIBUTE DX 2002
MAZDA TRIBUTE ES (2002 - 2004)
MAZDA TRIBUTE LX (2002 - 2004)
MAZDA TRIBUTE S 2005 - 2008)
MERCURY COUGAR (1999 - 2002)
MERCURY COUGAR S 2001
MERCURY MARINER 2008
MERCURY MARINER LUXURY (2006 - 2007)
MERCURY MARINER PREMIER (2005 - 2008)
MERCURY MILAN (2006-2009)
MERCURY MYSTIQUE (1999 - 2000)
MERCURY MYSTIQUE GS (1995 - 1997)
MERCURY MYSTIQUE LS (1996 - 1998)
MERCURY MYSTIQUE YOUNG AMERICA 1995

Note: WILL NOT fit the Ford Taurus Duratec V-6, as the Taurus has a different belt pulley configuration.

If you have any other questions you may contact me via email or direct at 716-995-6232.

Best Regards,

Ivan Snyder III
Sales/Customer Service
Vibratech TVD/Fluidampr
Ph: 716-592-1000 X: 6232
Fax: 716-592-1001
Email: ivan.snyder@vibratechtvd.com
Email: ivan.snyder@fluidampr.com

The fluidampr will work. I have one installed. It's kinda tight to fit in, but it will fit. :rolleyes:

I know there has to be some cars around with oem dmds that will work for our cars... taurus maybe a mazda 6 has one?

The Ford part numbers are...

Part # 1S7Z-6312-CA - Dual Mode Dampener, superseded by Part # 6E5Z6312AA, price $43.78
Part # F5RZ-6A340-B - Bolt, $6.04
Part # F1AZ-6378-A - Washer, $3.68

All prices from Tousley Ford Parts

NOTE: I looked into the 6E5Z6312AA and it does NOT appear to be a DMD pulley anymore. Looks like the only way your going to get one is from the junkyard.

Last edited:
i remember a while back, someone buying a damper from Tousley.

Thinking he was getting a dual mode on the cheap.... he was disappointed when it arrived, to find it was a single width stockie.

Hope this is not that trip again .... G.

If we know which years they came on, maybe there's an aftermarket replacement? I was just at NAPA and gave them the part number, but they weren't able to find a match to it. They couldn't search for a Ford part number. They needed a model and year, then they had to look up the aftermarket part number and see if it matched the Ford part number...

Okay great im just trying to see if I would be able to find a new oem one or which cars to find in the yard. I could order one from BAT but im not sure if I want to pay $150+ for one although it would be new...

Okay great im just trying to see if I would be able to find a new oem one or which cars to find in the yard. I could order one from BAT but im not sure if I want to pay $150+ for one although it would be new...

That was the going rate from the dealer. $150 is about where it's at. If your not willing to pay that... you will not get one new.

I know where there is a used DMD with 120K miles on it for $85.

As per forum rules ... pm me if you want the details ....G.

I just got mine from BAT. It's not a DMD either. It's the $55 Ford replacement (6E5Z) standard balancer that they sold for $170 including shipping. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm now 0 for 2 on trying to get one of these.

I was thinking today about this... One of the thoughts about the switch to the DMD was that there must be a reason Ford made a change which would cost more money. That they must prevent something, increase life of the engine, etc... But what about why they stopped using them? No ones really questioned that... Sure, there's the cost. But if it was determined that the cost was worth it to begin with, why would they get rid of it on newer 3L engines?

I was thinking today about this... One of the thoughts about the switch to the DMD was that there must be a reason Ford made a change which would cost more money. That they must prevent something, increase life of the engine, etc... But what about why they stopped using them? No ones really questioned that... Sure, there's the cost. But if it was determined that the cost was worth it to begin with, why would they get rid of it on newer 3L engines?

Very good question Teebs. Usually only happens if there is a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing or if a bean counter axe's it.

Back