• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

works for me

royalblue

In time out with LUCA
Flame me if you must ,But I have gone back to my stock factory premium sound amp .Earlier this year I had a problem with my left front door speaker not working on occasion.The only way I could get it to work was to fade and balance all the way to the left front and CRANK it .It would work for a while then shut of again ,well long story short I thought that the amp was the problem because that is the general opinion around here so I bypassed it :nonono: Come to find out one of the short jumper wires I made to splice the factory harness to the aftermarket speakers Lightning Audio B3.68.3 had some corrosion causing a high ohm load which would shut down the channel
The way I found this is by waiting for it to stop working, taking the door panel off and hooking up a known good speaker directly to the factory harness and waiting for it to cut out .when it didn't I tested the short jumpers I made with an OHM meter ,problem fixed:cool:
For more flaming fuel I will add that I have a DUAL XR4110 mechless head unit mostly because I was tired of CD's skipping over every little bump in the road and the price was right . This unit is advertised as 60 watts:rolleyes: but is 5watts x4 RMS .So not being a super high output unit once I got the door speaker figured out I hooked the stock amp back up thinking that if the factory door speakers say 20 watts the factory amp shouldn't be less than 5 watts rms:shrug: .It sounds better,has more power and is easier to tune it to my (ducks flame thrower)Dual Xia 2 460 amp powering a Dual Xinmbp212 sub box .
Now I will not claim this is SoundQ SVT level or even close for that matter but for what I have invested I and everyone that has heard it thinks it sounds very good

I did learn some stuff along the way .
1 you need a 5 volt voltage regulator to power the factory amp
and 2 speaker wiring
Location~~~~~~ aftermarket ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ stock ford ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ w/amp
left front+ ~~~~ white ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ white/black ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ green
left front- ~~~~ white/black ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ brown/yellow ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ white/orange
right front+~~~~~ gray~~~~~~~~~~~~ white/red ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ white/red
right front- ~~~~~ gray/black ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ brown/red ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ brown
left rear+ ~~~~~ green ~~~~~~~~~~~~ white/purple ~~~~~~~~~~~~ light blue/black
left rear- ~~~~~ green/black~~~~~~~~~~~~ brown/white ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ yellow
right rear+ ~~~~~~ violet ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ white~~~~~~~~~~~ purple/white
right rear- ~~~~~~~ violet/black ~~~~~~~~~~~~ brown ~~~~~~~~~~~ light blue

FLAME ON JOHNY

Whatever works for you. I like my ears to bleed and for everyone within a 1 mile radius to hear what I'm listening to but thats just me :)

my ears go numb during my commute and the rear view mirror is hard to see straight out of while it's vibrating;)

Well since you put on 4 layers of flame suit rather than being ignorant to your shortcomings I think your safe from ridicule. If it sounds good to you, thats all that matters. But in all honesty, saying that ford OEM sounds better than Dual or Lightning audio doesn't totally surprise me. They are all about the same quality.

What does your sound system consists of?

Boston G5s in 3.8 cubes at 33hz on 1400wrms. Looking to upgrade to DC Audio Lvl 4s or some Sundown Nightshades on some more power. I can never have enough bass...

Well since you put on 4 layers of flame suit rather than being ignorant to your shortcomings I think your safe from ridicule. If it sounds good to you, thats all that matters. But in all honesty, saying that ford OEM sounds better than Dual or Lightning audio doesn't totally surprise me. They are all about the same quality.
Not so much ignorant as cheap:p

That's pretty impressive. My system consists of 4 mid-range speakers, 2 tweeters, 4 subwoofers and 3 amplifiers and I'm only putting out 1100w RMS total. All speakers are Infinity except for 2 subwoofers that are mounted on the rear deck. They are Pioneer.

Boston G5s in 3.8 cubes at 33hz on 1400wrms. Looking to upgrade to DC Audio Lvl 4s or some Sundown Nightshades on some more power. I can never have enough bass...

That's pretty impressive. My system consists of 4 mid-range speakers, 2 tweeters, 4 subwoofers and 3 amplifiers and I'm only putting out 1100w RMS total. All speakers are Infinity except for 2 subwoofers that are mounted on the rear deck. They are Pioneer.

I am running Infinity Kappa 6x8s on the front and rear stage and they are lacking terribly in midbass, so I think before the subs get upgraded I will add some kick panels and a 7 or 8" midbass driver and upgrade the fronts to a full component setup. Are you running 2 free air subs in the rear deck and 2 more subs in the trunk?

That's correct. I have 2 Pioneer 10-inch free air subwoofers mounted on the rear deck and 2 Infinity Kappa 12-inch subwoofers in a sealed box in the trunk. In the front doors I have Infinity component speakers which consists of a 6.5-inch mid-range driver and a separate tweeter. In the rear doors I have Infinity Kappa 6x8s. But you are right about the 6x8s lacking in mid-bass. I have the 2 10-inch subwoofers making up for that while the 2 12-inch subwoofers providing the deep bass.

I am running Infinity Kappa 6x8s on the front and rear stage and they are lacking terribly in midbass, so I think before the subs get upgraded I will add some kick panels and a 7 or 8" midbass driver and upgrade the fronts to a full component setup. Are you running 2 free air subs in the rear deck and 2 more subs in the trunk?

You guys most have rolls and rolls of Dynomat in your cars :crazy: to keep the panels from rippling I mean two 10's and two 12's :eek: that's a whole lot of boom .Do you guys hear ok :laugh: Funny though when I got home today my going on 13 year old daughter said nice radio and called me a show off because I was playing some old school Tone Loc and then the first couple of lines of Nelly E.I Truly I don't listen to that much rap ,More of a hair metal guy ,But I do have a few favorites

I have 0 dynamat in my trunk at the moment, just the doors. I'm still on the fence about dynamatting the whole trunk, I have heard you loose some spl. I have electrical tape on the trunk lid latch and pieces of pipe insulation in the trunk lid and in the rear deck under the back windsheild. I would like to tear the rubber out of the trunk vents and figure out a way to dampen the rear bumper cover, those are what rattles the most from the outside. With the rear seats up, the rear deck flexes as much as a mid level sub haha. I also have ear plugs for when I do crank it.

I have 0 dynamat in my trunk at the moment, just the doors. I'm still on the fence about dynamatting the whole trunk, I have heard you loose some spl. I have electrical tape on the trunk lid latch and pieces of pipe insulation in the trunk lid and in the rear deck under the back windsheild. I would like to tear the rubber out of the trunk vents and figure out a way to dampen the rear bumper cover, those are what rattles the most from the outside. With the rear seats up, the rear deck flexes as much as a mid level sub haha. I also have ear plugs for when I do crank it.
:shrug::confused::rolleyes::help::nonono::crazy: defeated purpose

:shrug::confused::rolleyes::help::nonono::crazy: defeated purpose

When you're pushing enough sound pressure, your ears begin to hurt. They don't help much with the low lows, but it does cut down on the length of time my ears ring when the volume goes back down. I think I will be finally satisfied when my car can do the hair trick. :D

All the above said ,I have been think about adding some tweeters to the front of the doors or top of the center post:ponder:

Back