• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why the wife is NOT allowed to drive the SVT

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Tess decided to put a hole in the transmission pan on the Windstar, so it will have to be repaired next weekend. Oh well, it needed a new filter and fluid change anyway. New pan, gasket, filter and of course the 12.25 qts of fluid. Tore the bumper up pretty good too. Barely missed the bottom of the oil pan.

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

Now the explanation. She parked, not realizing there was parking curb in front of the van, didn't see it when she went to leave, turned the wheels (neither front tire hit this thing) next thing crunch., backed up red fluid running down the parking curb. Oh did I forget to mention the 2 pieces of rebar sticking out of the top that actually did the damage?

I can only imagine how bad this would have been had she been driving the car for some reason.

Mods: wasn't sure if this should be CI or pics\vid, please move as needed

Damn Dave, that sucks. I hate when parking bumpers are improperly anchored. My SVT used to get stuck on those things all the time until I put my mirko on and now I cant even go over one anymore.

Damn Dave, that sucks. I hate when parking bumpers are improperly anchored. My SVT used to get stuck on those things all the time until I put my mirko on and now I cant even go over one anymore.

At least we're only talking maybe $150-200 to repair, pan is only like $25-32, depending if I order from Bill J or go to a local dealer, filter 32, gasket. Hell the fluid is going to cost as much as the parts..:blackeye: And not even anything special, just Mercon, no Honey or Syncromax. Stupid automatics and their ridiculous requirements:laugh:

I'm debating on replacing the bumper cover or not. I found a place in Naperville (next suburb over) that has one listed on ebay for $15, then they'll paint for 165, but I already have rattle can I could use for it.

I forgot to mention, I lucked out on the towing, our neighbor has a flatbed, and he feels bad waking us up all hours of the night to go clean up an accident or whatever, so we got it towed home for $$FREE$$

holy crap! man that stinks.
I woulda been scared to make that call home. "uhh honey, I made a booboo. Don't hit me!" :D ;)

holy crap! man that stinks.
I woulda been scared to make that call home. "uhh honey, I made a booboo. Don't hit me!" :D ;)

Yeah, you could hear the shake in her voice. Needless to say I was less than pleased. Oh well, at least the car doesn't have to sit outside completely exposed, we have a carport for the week while the van is in the garage. At first I thought she had broken a hole in the housing itself, forgetting there is a pan. Talk about a huge relief!

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought. You didn't seem too pleased with the thought of replacing the trans on Saturday. :)

i remember back in 1992 when my dad got his first new car ever. 1992 Sable GS, every option, 3.8 motor, really nice light metallic blue color...great car actually. My mother was backing it into the driveway and got to close to the fence. scratched the fender on it, cut the wheel in panic, stabbed the tire on a bolt that was on the fence, blowing it out, causing the car to lean more into the fence, denting the fender right above the wheel, scratched the hell out of the rim and bend the damn fence to boot. she was crying when she came in the house. lulz.

poor man had no luck with that car. right after he got it fixed he got rearended bad by some chick in jersey, eventually a blown motor due to stupid mechanics.

....Oh well, it needed a new filter and fluid change anyway. New pan, gasket, filter and of course the 12.25 qts of fluid.....

You need that much fluid with just a service? Normally you let about 4-5 quarts out when you do the service. I'd make sure not to over fill it.

You need that much fluid with just a service? Normally you let about 4-5 quarts out when you do the service. I'd make sure not to over fill it.

Considering it's still loosing fluid all over my garage floor. I'm planning for the worse, there was quite a bit left in the parking lot where the damage was done, then the longer it sits, the more that comes out. Plus the dispstick wasn't registering but perhaps 1/2 a pink of fluid, so not even to the min line.

Also, is it normal that 120K fluid still be bright red? I'm not a trans expert, but it seems like it should look "dirty" to me. I don't expect that it was ever changed prior to us purchasing as the van only had 52k on it.

Also, is it normal that 120K fluid still be bright red? I'm not a trans expert, but it seems like it should look "dirty" to me. I don't expect that it was ever changed prior to us purchasing as the van only had 52k on it.

as always it depends on driving conditions, how it was driven, etc.

Back