• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$100 Weapon-R SS header

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
Just noticed this over on the NECO forums...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

All years - You will need a MIL eliminator for your lower O2 sensor if you install one of these.

Pre-98's - You will need to cut off your EGR pipe and put an air filter on it. Either that or have a muffler shop modify the Weapon-R header to add an EGR connection. You can't just remove the EGR pipe and valve. That will make your PCM angry and throw a CEL.

HTH,
Ben

I've been debating this for a very long time, lol. I'm just afraid of dealing with emissions testing, because most places pop the hood and take a peak.

As for the EGR, does it still work properly even if you cap it with an air filter? This has crossed my mind before but never felt brave enough to ask.

Ian, put your heatshield back on and take it to a place that doesn't know Fords ... :ponder:

Problem is I NEED to take it to a place who knows Fords, as they're the only ones who believe me about the SVT exhaust. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! :p

Problem is I NEED to take it to a place who knows Fords, as they're the only ones who believe me about the SVT exhaust. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! :p

I hear a couple $20's on the driver seat with a smiley face on a sticky note can have a noticeable improvement on emission testing :)

They have cameras in inspection stations now. MA is whacked out. :eek:

wanna know what it takes in florida to get your car on the road? just gotta show them a drivers license :) no emissions, no inspections. i can do ANYTHING to my car

I've been running that way but only for a couple hundred miles. It should work fine without throwing a CEL but I've yet to complete long term testing.

I haven't driven my 'tour since November. Too many other projects going on right now.

BP

Well see now I'm considering this a bit more. The EGR problem was the biggest nag for me before. In fact, getting clean air through the EGR might even be beneficial to how the car runs, right? Or could it possibly lean it out?

Well see now I'm considering this a bit more. The EGR problem was the biggest nag for me before. In fact, getting clean air through the EGR might even be beneficial to how the car runs, right? Or could it possibly lean it out?

if its on the manifold side then it would be taking in unmetered air. well maybe not. in practice it should take in the same amount of air that was metered but not from the exhaust .... so I'm not sure at the moment.

if its on the manifold side then it would be taking in unmetered air. well maybe not. in practice it should take in the same amount of air that was metered but not from the exhaust .... so I'm not sure at the moment.

Well let's say theoretically that it takes in the same amount of air, volume-wise. Well, typically EGR intake is going to be really hot because, well, it's coming from the exhaust. Well now you're swapping it for air that is cooler, although I'm not sure how much cooler, and the IAT isn't going to be registering a lower temperature of air, yet the actual temperature of the air entering the engine will be lower than with EGR hooked up...Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, you're swapping hot, less dense air for cooler, more dense air without changing any actual readings from any sensors. I feel it *might* be ever so slightly problematic.

not to mention you are going from burned, inert gases (nonburnable since they have already been burned) to burnable gases. it will lean it out by pulling fresh air instead of exhaust gases. this could cause hotter combustion temps than normal while cruising, which would drastically hurt your NOx emissions.

EGR is only used off idle and during cruise. Not in situations where your car requires power. Your cat may fail a certain percentage sooner but with a header, you have no cat. Problem solved.

Also if it was leaned out enough to ping (detonate) our hyperactive knock sensors would kick in well in advance.

If you have a sniffer test for your emissions, anything that deletes your cat is not for you.

I'm in the middle of a motor swap on my Dad's Nissan SE-R. Once I'm done with that I'll post up a how-to for those Pre-98 guys that want to bypass their EGR.

BP

Well my engine already pings at high RPM. I'd hate to aggravate it even more. It even pings with 89 or 93 fuel in fact.

If only I had the cash to spare, this is one of the last mods I'd like to do to my car. I'm looking forward to your how-to BP.

Back