• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New tie rod ends have a narrower taper

SVTCANUK

CEG'er
The new tie rod ends that I got have a narrower taper than the original ones. Because of this the tie rod slips through the hole easily but goes too far and I am unable to tighten the lock nut completely because I run out of threads and hit the actual tapered shaft. I checked the original ones and the taper starts at 13mm and increases, the new ones start at about 10mm and increase. Has anyone else experienced this? The part numbers I got are F7RZ-3A130-AA and MEOE-104, I cross referenced these on Motorcraft.com and they appear to be correct.

I think you might have installed the pre-98 tie rod ends. Maybe they sent you the wrong ones :shrug:. The tapers are different for pre to post98 because the knuckle is different.

I think you might have installed the pre-98 tie rod ends. Maybe they sent you the wrong ones :shrug:. The tapers are different for pre to post98 because the knuckle is different.

EXACTLY. I got a pre-98 knuckle from the junkyard once, and my 2000 tie rods wouldn't go in.

I did the same thing with my 99 Mystique... Pre-98 knuckle's are slightly different from Post-97...

I'd return it and either get a new one somewhere else or get the correct one...

My local ford dealer ordered a second set and they have the same issue, they are contacting Ford to find a resolution. In the meantime I have ordered a set of Moog tie rod ends from Rock Auto, hopefully they fit better. What grease should I use with the Moog units?

You're gonna grease them before you put them on? There will probably be a sticker saying not to do that.

I know what they have. But on the ones I got not too long ago they had a slip in the box telling you they're pre-greased and not to add grease.

Well the new Moog ends fit great but there wasn't any slip of paper saying not to add grease, however there was some grease present on the top of the fitting around the grease hole where the zerk fitting goes so I have to assume they come pre greased.

I use the marine grade grease. It usually comes in a green tube and is also a dark green color. Good weather resistance and lasts a long time.

I don't know who started that rumor!

Ford.

Just went through each year in the Ford parts catalog.....

95-96 come up with the following part numbers:
F3RZ3A130B RIGHT $47.41
F3RZ3A130A LEFT $48.72

97-00:
F7RZ3A130BB RIGHT $29.66
F7RZ3A130AA LEFT $29.66

Well, I went to the junkyard to get elky a new knuckle and the 2 97's had the same style as the 95-96. Elky told me a 97 would work but after I pulled it and compared it to a post 98 it was different.

Well, I went to the junkyard to get elky a new knuckle and the 2 97's had the same style as the 95-96. Elky told me a 97 would work but after I pulled it and compared it to a post 98 it was different.

Wierd. :confused:

Just for the hell of it, I went back and checked the knuckle part numbers as well. Same deal as the tie rods. :shrug:

I've not heard back from Ford yet about the problem but I can confirm that their computer states the same tie rod end for 97 - 00. Wouldn't be the first time they made a mistake :laugh:.

when i bought new tie-rod ends for my 97 i got the 97-00 ones and they fit just fine. :shrug:

perhaps its supposed to be 95-96 and 97-00 but some of the early 97s escaped with the 96 parts.

You're kidding about the not greasing thing right? No way would I EVER believe that line about "pregreased". Maybe they did, but if you'd seen the large numbers of parts I have that were supposedly "pregreased", you would not trust them. All they care about is selling you more parts at faster rates. I have taken apart brand new name brand parts that had either slight or NO GREASE AT ALL. I over grease the part to guarantee some in , then fiddle with the seal to work extra out so seal does not pop when it gets worked in use. You need a wee bit of airspace in there, grease like liquid, will not compress. Can blow out the seal in short order (same on CV joint boots too).

Back