• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX to MTX Conversion

Maurice

CEG'er
I am getting ready to do a ATX to MTX conversion on my car(simply because I cant find one with a MTX)

I have a 95 GL with a 2.5l ATX

I am going to convert to a MTX.

I am thinking these are the parts I need(from a 95-97 contour) can someone let me know if I missed any

Engine Wiring harness
ECU
Shifter assembly
clutch pedal assembly
Transmission

Thanks,

You need these, but instead of the cable shift you will need the rod shift:

MTXswapkit.jpg

From the top:

Engine harness, subframe and motor mounts for MTX, half-shafts, shifter for floor (rod shifter assembly is a little more simple looking). Pedals, clutch, flywheel etc... And you actually don't need the MTX wire harness, I used a new ATX harness for my 95 SE motor swap, I just had to splice in the MTX connector for the reverse lights, and neutral saftey switch.

so, all the parts in the picture, excluding the harness. I would discourage this project unless you made it REALLY worth it and went 3L + MTX. You have to swap subframes etc so you might as well go all out. It is A LOT of work, good luck

Ouch

Ouch

I didnt think it was going to be that difficult that why I was thinking about it, I had no idea subframe and half shafts.:help:

I was only thinking about it because my ATX is getting a bit tired and I dont want to put the $$$ into a ATX rebuild or replace.

Not willing to do a 3L swap just put the engine in and only have 40K on the engine.

I will save the 3L swap for a SVT:laugh:

OK, Been looking for a MTX car and not easy to find for some reason. so its back to the conversion, So my question is, what parts from a 2.0 4Cyl will cross over to the 2.5L 6Cyl., Important ones are the Sub Frame Shifter and motor/Transmission mounts.

Thanks,

OK, Been looking for a MTX car and not easy to find for some reason. so its back to the conversion, So my question is, what parts from a 2.0 4Cyl will cross over to the 2.5L 6Cyl., Important ones are the Sub Frame Shifter and motor/Transmission mounts.

Thanks,

Subframes are the same for 2.0 mtx and 2.5L mtx, so the mounting points should be the same as well... I know this because I swapped a subframe out of a 2.5L into a 2.0L

Technically, I think if you had a shift cable shifter, shift cables, and the 98+ MTX transmission, you wont have to go with a rod linkage set-up...???

Washington State,

Thats good to hear about the 2.0 and the MTX

I will see what I can find at the bone yards and people parting out locally.....

Unfortunatly I don't do swaps for people. Too much risk and I would hate to ruin my rep because of one install problem.

I do prep ported 3Ls but that's about it for motor work. I do part out lots of SVTs and have parts for them up the waaazooo!

aircougar could/would probably be the best person to do a MTX & 3L swap for you.

The last swap kit I sold went to a cougar owner but I gave him a killer deal of $400 picked up because I wanted it out of the way. That was everything but the subframe too.

I am looking forward to the progress of this project. Kinda like watching a train wreck. Fun to watch from a distance.

Just one try at this. Why in the world are you wanting to throw away this much money on a car that is worth at best $1,000 as a runner?

I am looking forward to the progress of this project. Kinda like watching a train wreck. Fun to watch from a distance.

Just one try at this. Why in the world are you wanting to throw away this much money on a car that is worth at best $1,000 as a runner?

because not all of us see a contour as just transportation

because the op might like a project.

maybe there is some special attachment to this particular car and the op wants to make an upgrade.

I have seen it go the other way around, mtx to atx conversion. the owner had already made it a show car, alot of work done. he hurt his knee and can't drive a standard anymore. so the car was converted to atx so he can enjoy his car and the work that has been done.

why do you bother to comment in threads like this, we get your stance, you don't want to waste any money on a contour. May the op's idea not be a good choice from your stand point? obviously it is, but it isn't the op's view point.

but it does sound like the op has an idea but doesn't understant, yet what is required and that it would be easier to just buy another one with a mtx already.

will you just remember you are on an enthusiasts site, most of use don't see it as just a contour. but you can see that and its obvious you never will .....

if you see the contour as such a lowly and worthless car why do you even bother to visit this site?

No worthless

No worthless

if you see the contour as such a lowly and worthless car why do you even bother to visit this site?

As my signature states, its nice transportation to me and nothing more. I understand enthusiasts wanting to fix up their cars, but at some point one needs to ask themselves is it worth it? That is what I was asking the OP.

Asking most folks on this list if they should spend alot of money on these cars is like asking a crackhead if they want more crack. I simply asked the OP if this attempt at a conversion was worth it.

I do have alot of experience restoring old cars and motorcycles, but I always kept in mind the costs. Unlike the rest of you my funds are much more limited than the number of things I have to spend money on. Silly things like a house, a business, family, food, insurance, taxes, retirement, ......... So I set my priorities and always ask myself, does it make financial sense to do something.

When my 98 tour takes a dump and if it will cost more than the car is worth (~$300) to repair, I'll call the junk man, then find another cheap car on craigslist.

That reply doesn't make any sense. Get rid of a cheap car with problems to buy another cheap car with other people's problems :nonono:.

It is always cheaper to fix what you have than to buy new or "used". 90% of used cars are just problems that other people want to get rid of. Who ever honestly sells a 100% perfect running condition car because they just want to buy another used car?

don't know which planet you live on.

don't know which planet you live on.

It does make sense, NEVER ever spend more on repairs than the car is worth. What part of fiscal responsibility don't you understand.

How much money would YOU spend 'fixing' a $1,000 car? A $1,000, $2,000, $5,000? At some point it is cheaper to toss the current car and buy another cheap used car. I don't know about you, but I can look at and drive a car and have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into, so buying used is the way I go. And yes in spite of your negative experiences I have found many honest folks selling used cars.

Never have bought new, always have bought cheap over 30 years and with the exception of one particularly bad mistake I have come out way ahead of folks that buy new.

The difference between me and most of the folks on this list is that I refuse to fall in love with an inanimate object like a car. I view it as transporation and when it no longer provides that function its gone. That way I piss away alot less money (and no matter what kind of car, it depreciates) that I can put towards more important parts of my life like my family.

But you are probably at a point in life where you just don't need or understand fiscal responsibility

Andres, I like you ;).

What you are saying (for the most part) does not make sense on a financial standpoint. It is almost ALWAYS cheaper to fix what you have than to buy new unless the vehicle is physically rotting away or you can't get new or used parts redily. Why buy another used car when you don't know the true history? It's just a shot in the dark and sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.

How much would I spend fixing a car worth $1,000? Depends on the circumstances really. Everything comes into play when answering on a question like that.

I can also look at and drive a car and have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into, hence why I have owned about 10 other working and driving cars/trucks. I think I got burned on one deal and ended up selling it for more than I paid for it after sticking $0 into the vehicle before I unloaded it.

in spite of your negative experiences I have found many honest folks selling used cars.
^ To this I reply with my statement above. I too find many, many honest people selling used cars. Honest or not, each and every one will fail to disclose an "issue" because they probably have gotten used to it and forgot. Doesn't mean they are dishonest, just forgetful ;).

I too have never purchased new, EVER. I have come out ahead on all but one which net me about a $1500 loss on a financed car, through a dealership, because of depreciation.

It's not about falling in love with a vehicle, it's about wanting it to feel exciting to drive again with the least amount of $ or effort to do so.

But you are probably at a point in life where you just don't need or understand fiscal responsibility
^ To this, you better check yourself before you assume. You clearly don't know me, where I have been, what I have done, and where I am now. I don't need to explain those things to you either.

Good luck with your ventures, but I think it would be best for the community for you and your comments (good or bad) to just be gone.

How dare you, so you are now the self appointed content police. Don't care much about what you think of me or my content. So I will post freely at my descretion. Not up to you.

Back