• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Using 99 Taurus engine?

mikebontoft

CEG'er
Alright, first off I'm doing the swap in a different car anyway.... but I wanted to ask if anyone's used a 99 3L from a Taurus/Sable and if they did, what did they have to modify besides the normal to get it working?

I understand I'll have to use an electric water pump. fine with me.

I like that these older ones are already split port so I can fit the SVT UIM on there with little to no modification. LOL I just like the way it looks. reminds me of the SHO.

I also just purchased an ECU from what I believe is a 98 CSVT with return style fuel setup.

I take it I can use the newer pistons and all that from the newer engines since it's still all the same size internally?

Also wondering if the Contour/Cougar MTX75 would still mate up to the older transaxle.

So here's the engine I'm looking at right now..... I know I SHOULD use a newer one, but for NOW I'm just trying to do it for the cheapest. I'll probably change engines eventually anyway, and the X type's trans. :)
P8180048.jpg

P8180049.jpg

Thanks!

so what car is the engine going into? how are we suppose to comment about how the engine is going to work if we don't know the application :shrug:

EH.....LOL. why not..... but I was just asking in general what it'd be like if it had been done to a contour.

but yeah ok then..... 02 Focus sedan.

The older split port 3L's were common a long time ago, but no one really uses them anymore. Unfortunately most of the helpful info on those swaps is going to be lost somewhere in the archives at the moment.

yeah... I've just joined as a member, what's up with the archives? they were here when I was lurking as a guest. LOL.

but seriously..... so they HAVE been used. Wondering why the hell I couldn't just get that answer instead of "get the new ones" (not bashing any of you guys if you know what I mean. from other forums.... still helpful of course.)

I'd personally buy a complete package 04+ motor, not worth the effort of switching all that crap

if you decide to go with this motor, I have an electric water pump with controller, I will sell you for damn near nothing.

I'd personally buy a complete package 04+ motor, not worth the effort of switching all that crap

eh so would I, and was my plan..... but right now I'm just going to do it on a low budget thing, learn about how all this stuff works, and generally just get it working so I can say I did it..... and enjoy it :D

and I may very well take you up on that offer if you still have in a little bit.

so I'm ok to buy it though? it's normally $150 but if I go on a wednesday it's ~$75

But your going to go through all that work to put a motor thats 9 years old, and likely 100k+ Number of miles?

Enjoy. :shrug:

you can swap 2.5 head on that engine(hybrid) and avoid the waterpump issue plus get some more compression. also you will be able to use the mtx75 off a v6 contour as long as the engine is 99 or newer if you want easy get a wrecked contour transfer the whole engine trans engine harness etc you can't use the taurus harness with out tons of work(if at all)

good luck keep it simple and it will go easier

^^ I'm wondering if i'd see any advantages over that? The junked svt over here still has the whole engine there so I could pull the heads/im/cams/harness/pump sytem all that good stuff. Just don't wanna make a hybrid if it's by really gonna do anything for me.

I'm hooked on the electric water pump though. LOL.

But your going to go through all that work to put a motor thats 9 years old, and likely 100k+ Number of miles?

Enjoy. :shrug:

Yes. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially considering I'm not just gonna throw the engine in there and hope for the best. Amongst the things on my to-do list for the engine is completely disassembing it, running the block through the washer (block washer LOL), examining for weak spots/cracks/ other damage, and getting stronger/upgraded internals.

Unless i'm Wrong of course. Can an old engine not be rebuilt to be just as good or better than a new engine, or is it doomed to its age?

^^ I'm wondering if i'd see any advantages over that? The junked svt over here still has the whole engine there so I could pull the heads/im/cams/harness/pump sytem all that good stuff. Just don't wanna make a hybrid if it's by really gonna do anything for me.

I'm hooked on the electric water pump though. LOL.

Yes. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially considering I'm not just gonna throw the engine in there and hope for the best. Amongst the things on my to-do list for the engine is completely disassembing it, running the block through the washer (block washer LOL), examining for weak spots/cracks/ other damage, and getting stronger/upgraded internals.

Unless i'm Wrong of course. Can an old engine not be rebuilt to be just as good or better than a new engine, or is it doomed to its age?
yes it can, u have my approval:). the difference between u and many on here, is the fact that u're willing to put in the time and effort required to make this work. if all u're using from this engine is the block, then go ahead. do not use the internals! or we'll be back here again. be sure u have a little bit of money on hand so this project goes unhindered.

I do... LOL. I wonder I'd there's anywhere that sells internals for the 3L. Probably not much demand i'm sure.

I think I'm just gonna go straight 3L parts, unless I need for example a 2.5L timing cover since I'm using the SVT ecu.

Wondering.... Is it ok to glassbead the valves and pistons? Also did they update the valves in the newer engines?

Alright this ought to get someone's attention :)......

Anything from this beautiful orphan Contour that I can use for free? I'm hoping they'll let me at least register it if I can get it running..... I really like it :(

1251150375.jpg

1251150371.jpg

1251150367.jpg

1251150365.jpg

Back