• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt Lim

Big Jim

Hard-core CEG'er
Somewhere I gained the impression that the late 99 and 00 SVT lower intake manifold was larger than the early SVT intake. I have an early built 98 E0. That was a mistaken impression.

I purchased an 00 LIM from a fellow CEG member believing that it had larger ports. I cleaned it up and ordered gaskets, then got around to installing it today. When I had the two off the car, side by side, I measured the bores with a caliper and they are the same. As far as I can tell there are only two differences. The part number on the decal and a slightly different kink in the linkage rod connecting the front and rear secondary banks. Even the casting number is the same.

So for anyone else that may be thinking it is a fast way to provide a slight increase in horsepower, forgetaboutit.

So for the record, is there a larger on? Is the 96 to 99 Taurus 3.0 larger?

I'm probably going to keep the one I purchased (I put my original back on) for possible use on a 3.0 upgrade. The thought that keeps going through my mind is to have a machine shop increase the bore. A 3.0 is 20% larger so it would make sense to increase the area by 20% to better accommodate the additional displacement. I like keeping the secondaries so new secondary plate would need to be made as well.

This may be somewhat unrelated,
but I do have two LIM's, one from a 2001 (iirc) cougar, and one from a pre-98 'tour SE.

The cougar LIM is obviously larger, however I have not compared either to an E0 LIM.

I beleive my '00 SE has the same size LIM as the cougar (based on visual inspection), however I have not measured.

I think the size difference is limited to returnless vs. return style non-SVTs
But thats just based on my Boneyard research and findings :crazy:

The early SVT's did have a slightly smaller LIM. (compared to a what is called a "returnless" LIM) It correlated to the same year 3L LIM. (98 - i.e. before the vast 3L changes started) These LIM's were installed until the 3L changeover started. Then SVT's and 3L engines after that had the same "larger" LIM casting. The normal Duratecs got this same LIM phased in after the original castings were depleted. This pretty much correlated with the change to the returnless fuel system but some returnless cars do have the smaller LIM. I have personally measured 3 different LIM sizes and 4 different LIM tapers. (i.e. inlet to outlet sizing)

When i upgrade to the svt engine in my cougar I'm just using my stock 00 lim out of my cougar since my engine came without manifolds. suppose to be the same as the svt

2 Easy ways:

1. If you have one fuel line going back its returnless 2 is return

2. Green injectors are returnless, orange are return

FWIW, the smaller LIM ports measure ~32/33mm where as the larger "returnless/SVT" are 33/34mm.

I measured the one on my old SVT engine (now in the Cougar) and it measured 33.3/34.3mm according to my digital caliper. The one that came out measured 32.1/33.2 (It was right around there). I have a spare larger one that measured up the same as my SVT one did as well.

If anyone needs either one PM me as they are spares.

So this is the closest thread I could find to post this in....

I just ordered a new 2001 Cougar LIM, IMRC, fuel rail and injectors (there's a killer deal on eBay right now), mostly for the IMRC. Anyhow, could I use the LIM in my E0? I wouldn't be expecting a HP gain or anything, but I figured I might as well put the new part in while the manifolds are apart if it's going to work the exact same way.

I know the rest is useless, since my car is a return and those are all returnless parts, but I didn't think the LIM was designed differently for return/returnless (ignoring bore, since that's up for debate still).

I just ordered a new 2001 Cougar LIM, IMRC, fuel rail and injectors (there's a killer deal on eBay right now), mostly for the IMRC. Anyhow, could I use the LIM in my E0? I wouldn't be expecting a HP gain or anything, but I figured I might as well put the new part in while the manifolds are apart if it's going to work the exact same way.

I know the rest is useless, since my car is a return and those are all returnless parts, but I didn't think the LIM was designed differently for return/returnless (ignoring bore, since that's up for debate still).

Yes it will work. No you can't use the rest...and you wouldn't want too...they aren't 19lb injectors. Like you have :)

Oh while your at it...make sure to make measurements and see if this old theory still rings true :crazy:

You will need to swap the injectors and the fuel rail as Harry mentioned. Other than being cleaner, you may find there is no difference.

You will need to swap the injectors and the fuel rail as Harry mentioned.

This is where my confusion lies. Obviously I'm not going to swap on the lower-flowing injectors, so I didn't think I needed the rail/harness. Are you saying that I would have to swap everything over to just use the LIM?

FWIW, i also ordered that "kit" there is a couple threads on neco about it, somthing to be concerned about is this guy doesnt really know what he has, It's a big pile of mis matched parts.

You might get a returnless fuel rail... Return.... and the harness is another story, i can't figure out for the life of me what the deal is with this harness i got. I have EV6 Ivory injectors, and 01+ style cougar plugs, i was trying to figure out if i could swap over it on to my car....

But. It's freaking weird. Don't expect much to work on your car other than the IMRC. but that's worth it alone.
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/2-5l-duratec-performance/140166-need-help-identifying.html

That's all I want it for, my good man! The rest is gravy... though I think the LIM has been universally correct, hence this thread.

Ahh ok, well why this thread exsists... Does anyone know the differance between a return and returnless injector harness?

Ahh ok, well why this thread exsists... Does anyone know the differance between a return and returnless injector harness?

fuel injector plugs are different and there is a plug for the fpr. not sure if anything else is different though.

Fuel injector plugs are not a issue.. but the FPR? Fuel pressure reglator? I don't think the harness has anything to do with that? :shrug:

Yes but how does that effect me if i don't use it? It shouldn't. Right?

I'm going to try it, sometime... See what kind of results i get.
it could very well mean that wires are in different pin positions on the connectors going to the PCM, since there are extra wires.

Back