• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Claybar question

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
So even though I just did the full treatment to the car (claybar, polish, seal, wax). I still have some light clearcoat scratches, which I'm ok with for now as this was my first time using claybar, and the PC with the polish.

However, my question comes from a statement a co-worker said that the claybar will remove clearcoat scratches. Is this true? From the searches I've done (perhaps I missed something) here and via google I don't see that the claybar actually removes the clearcoat like the polish will to get past the scratch to "fresh" clearcoat.

Am I not understanding something correctly? I was thinking next time I go through this process I needed to work the polish on those area's longer with the PC.

Some explain, I'm confused, again.:laugh:

nope my understanding is that a clay bar removes contaminants that are on the surface of the paint. it shouldn't remove scratches. as you said you have to get into the clear coat some for that.

nope my understanding is that a clay bar removes contaminants that are on the surface of the paint. it shouldn't remove scratches. as you said you have to get into the clear coat some for that.

And that's what I've seen clay only removes contaminents, doesn't actually "repair" if you will.

It's not even suppose to remove oxidation.... Just used to "deep" clean the paint. should follow up with a sealant.

It's funny I just got done reading up on it because Ive seen many posts on it.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Thank you! That was a great article. It was confirmed the two things I was thinking a) claybar only removes contaminent and b) co-worker is of their rocker

Ok, one more thing. In my searching earlier, something that I kept seeing but didn't understand is why places kept saying claybar your glass as well. Is this for the same reason as doing your paint?

**Found my answer with a new search this morning, "this will reduce streaking when using your wipers and accelerate water runoff when it rains" per http://www.chemicalguys.com/CLAY_BAR_VALUE_PACK_p/cly_102.htm

You can clay your glass, yes, to remove contaminants.

I usually use some Mothers Chrome Polish a few times a year, as it scours a little bit and it leaves behind some polymer protection to sheet water and repel soil. It's safe for glass.

For scratches, I like Mothers Scratch Remover ... just work with some finesse in varying directions and inspect your progress. Then go over that area with your regular paint products.

Don Mallinson, a longtime SHO fanatic, sells car care products through his online company, www.dccarcare.com. It's also a great resource for products and procedures related to detailing.

Back