• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O/D Light blinking, shifting like crap

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
Driving to work this morning (pretty cold)

driving normally (not beating) all of a sudden bam REDLINE for like 5 secs shifted. O/D Light Blinking Car shifts like a 5K N-D slam

This is a quote after seraching - EXACTLY what it is doing

"When you come off the highway, it will downshift like a bucking bronco, and upshift like someone is under the car with a sledge hammer. If you turn off the car and let it rest for 30 minutes, it will go back to normal, but only for a few miles.

This happened to me at 31k miles in my 98 SE Sport. I tried everything to get the Dealer to believe me, but the kept telling me that it was just a thermostat. When the O/D light started to come on, after only driving 30 miles, I drove it straight into the Dealer's shop, grabbed the Tour Tech and had him check the code. Then I grabbed the Service Manager and asked him if he believed me now."

Help TIA

Rule of thumb, O/D light blinking = something internal isnt right, more than likely the trans needs to be dropped.

Check the trans fluid, see if its burnt.

I had a similar problem back in May. I was comming off the highway and it started up. Ended up having the trans. rebuild. It has been fine since then.

I hate to sound really negative, but KL99SE probably is right. Nothing cheap comes from a flashing O/D light.

This happened to me too. It turned out to be the TCC switch.

This is what i am thinking.. Well i checked it out agian i was a quart low on trans fluid so i fixed that.. Now the shifting is amazingly better, but i STILL don't have O/D and the light still flashes.

This happened to me too. It turned out to be the TCC switch.

That's how all CD4Es meet their end. There's a defect in the valve body that causes the torque converter clutch to slip. This builds up a large amount of heat which fries the rest of the transmission and in the process, causes some very harsh shifting and slippage.

Get the code read- There will probably be several codes present, and more than likely, one will be the dreaded P1744 (Torque Converter Clutch Slip).

Good luck, and start looking for a used or rebuilt trans.

Follow up..

Tinkered around a bit finally took it to a local shop they just called said the trans has to be rebuilt :nonono:

Back