• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stereo wont turn on. help please

doomsayer559

CEG'er
Stereo had no sound today, checked amps, wiring, fuses etch... then lost all power at the deck. Tried two stereos both work while connected to battery but not while hooked up. The stereo wires read 12v and fuses are good but still won't turn on. I don't get it please help.

did you check the ground? try hooking up a wire to the ground on the stereo then to any exposed bolt or screw that connects to the body of the car and see if it powers up.

did you check the ground? try hooking up a wire to the ground on the stereo then to any exposed bolt or screw that connects to the body of the car and see if it powers up.

I didn't do that yet. I just find it weird it just didn't work when I tried using it. Then there was like a pop sound and it turned off. But the stereo still works. ?

The pop was under the dash towards the drierside I believe. There were 3 blown fuses for the interior lighting, radio and I forget the other. The radio fuse was replaced the other day and did not make any difference for the stereo working. But now my fob and all my dash lights and mirror switches are working again. Ill have to try the stereo again... I checked the wires and they did test out at 12v. Also check again if stereo still fails. Thanks so far guys!

All is well. I found 3 more blown fuses and replaced them. I also put a 10ga ground to the chassis from the stereo. I don't know what did it but it kicked right on. Still no amps. Tested my 12v switch at the amps @11.7v, checked all wiring, connections, etc. again. Tested my battery for ••••s and gigs and saw the amp mega fuse. Inspected it, not blown or burnt at all. Tested on battery side @12.5v and @0.2v on amp side. Replaced, and everything works great. I guess the plastic tube style fuses are prone to failing from what I read? Idk. Though I am pulling 660wrms through my 8awg...

The voltage at your amps seems low.

660rms is wayy too much for 8ga. You need to upgrade your wiring to 4ga unless you enjoy voltage drop and the possibility of melted wires and a fire.

AGU fuses have been known to fail before the element inside burns up. I cooked one last week thought I blew my amp until I pulled it out of the holder because it looked normal. This is a common problem for cheap/off brand fuses

20120613180334.jpg

Back