• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subframe Connector interest check

Hi! I'm sorry but how do these work and where do they go? And what must be done to install them?

you need to weld them to the underside of our car. They basically connect the front subframe to the rear. Think of a metal bar running from the front of your front door to the back of your rear doors on both sides of your vehicle. They stiffen things up a lot. If I jack my car up on 1 corner 3 wheels will come off the ground.

Hi! I'm sorry but how do these work and where do they go? And what must be done to install them?

as noted above, but they only attach to the body, not the actual subframe assembly. right now, your car is a pretty flexible chassis. which is not good for handling and over time will experience creaks and rattles. if you think your car handles well now, the SFCs will improve that even more. my buddy who builds crazy high powered cars (mustangs, camaros, vettes, etc) got in my csvt and said "wow, this car is stiff!"

for installation, they have to be welded on and on a drive on lift. for 99.9% of people here you will need to take it to a smog shop or somewhere with a drive on lift that can weld. its a really simple installation.

here's a pic of my own car i found after googling lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/svt4stv/100_0566.jpg

One thing to add...as these are raw steel (I believe) its a good idea to paint them after they are welded on. My current set look like ***t after a MI winter...

One thing to add...as these are raw steel (I believe) its a good idea to paint them after they are welded on. My current set look like ***t after a MI winter...

correct. you definitely want to paint them asap. they started rusting just sitting outside in CA weather.

i painted mine before i put them on which was not wise. you want unpainted areas to weld to. paint then has to be removed. if you're going to weld them on yourself, or the shop is willing, you can position them and mark where you plan to weld them. then mask off those areas and spray paint around them. then go back and touch up after welding. once theyre welded on its hard to hit the top sides of the bars of course. john, my engineering buddy who helped me make these, said it would take a loong time for these to rust through anyways since the steel is so thick. but still, go idea to do it.

last GB we had an option to weld end caps on the ends for people that were concerned about getting dirt/etc in the bars. we can probably do that again.

we put these on my terminator as well. they were a GREAT way to route my power wire for my battery relocation i did. for anyone thinking of doing that. my turbo car has the battery in the trunk

Back