• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Old gas removal

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
My svt has been not running for awhile, the gas has been sitting in the tank for.... who knows how long..

I want to get that sheet out of there, i originally wanted to cypun it out the fuel pump hole, but now i was thinking, if i turn the key to turn on the fuel pump.. can i pump it dry that way? and just hook the lines up to a hose to drain into a container? I'm not very familiar with how the return system works, so will that work?

How much is in there? How old is it? I would just top it off with fresh gas and drive it. If you're really worried about, throw a can of Seafoam in with the fresh gas. As long as it starts, you aren't going to hurt anything.

...I dunno, This is going into my pretty, new to me, 3L :ponder:

jumper the fuel pump relay so the pump is on and have the fuel line off and running into a gas can. or just fill it up with fresh and sea foam it. fuel injection can handle some pretty nasty gas and it won't hurt your engine. only reason to get rid of it is if the car just will not start.. maybe put a can of dry gas to get any water in the gas...

Good luck beans.. just get that thing running...!

Well like i said in teh OP, Will it have any issues being a return style system?

No because the line is off...so it would be emptying into a car before it hits the fuel rail.

Wait.....is this thing going to be ready for SZ??

I would fill it up and then try to start it. If you have a lot of trouble getting it running, then go through the hassle of trying to get rid of the old stuff. Old gas really isn't that big of a deal, especially when 2/3 of the tank will be fresh. :shrug:

I would do as Purdy mentioned, but honestly your probably more than fine with whats in there. Gas these days does't varnish like it use to, plus you have premium in there, so thats even better.

I would do as Purdy mentioned, but honestly your probably more than fine with whats in there. Gas these days does't varnish like it use to, plus you have premium in there, so thats even better.

I was worried about that too before I started mine up for the first time. Nobody has ever had gas in there tank longer than I have while I did my 3L build. There was about a half tank in it for 4 friggin years. I didn't even top it off or anything and it started right up no problems. Hopefully it won't cause any issues but I'd agree that if you put in some fresh gas, you'll be fine.

it has it's own electric pump why not use that?

cause if the fuel is bad you will ruin the pump and clog the filter.

Just pull up the back seat, take out the fuel pump and syphon a couple gallons out that way if you are really worried about the gas, but if it only has 4 gallons of gas in it, just add 10 gallons, some fuel stabilizer and some over the counter octane booster. The methanol should keep the bad gas from making you ping.

he is right, the gas is probably fine.

when i store my svt for the winter i just dump some sea foam in the tank and leave it. never started it for over six months. it won't varnish like livinsvt says. i would add new gas and a bottle of sea foam and fire er' up~!

worse case for like 10 bucks walmart sells a drill powered pump, would work well, and heck you could return it afterwards:

Starbrite Startron is a fuel enzyme marketed towards boaters, but works well in cars. It binds to water and allows it to burn off.

My 00 SVT sat for about 2 years with the same 1/4 tank. I had no issues. It started right up after the motor swap, ran a little rough at idle and at WOT, but after a fresh tank of gas, it's been fine since. The idle is smooth and no hesitation.

Don't stress it too much. Just add fresh gas and go.

Back