• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Basic tuning questions...

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I've been on this forum long enough to know to search and check the stickies, but I'm not really sure I understand where to start with a tune. I was going to get one from Brenspeed, but they don't do Contours any longer. I checked a place they recommended in MI, and they don't do Contours anymore either.

So I found a local place that will dyno tune anything 2wd, but I have to supply the tune for them to tweak on the dyno. I checked SCT's website, and I don't even see the Xcal 2's anymore. I see the SF3 and X4. To be honest I don't get excited about tuning specs, and all I really need to know is which programmer to get and where to get an open tune so I can take it to the dyno.

Thank you for any help. I'm sure the info is somewhere on the site, but I'm not seeing anything very current. I just want to get my car tuned so it will run its best.

not sure how far you wanna travel or if you are willing to settle for remote tuning or a simple mail order tune but we have a very, very well known, top notch sct custom tuner up here
in wisconsin and he just tuned 2 of my buddies svtc and mine is slatted to go in end of may. he has tuned all of my 7 fox body stangs and his tuning is literally second to none up here.
he does great work and is pleasant to work with. the name is c and m automotive performance. his name is marv. he has tuned over 30 svtc in the past 15+ yrs. from nos to supercharged to turbo to custom 3l. might wanna try it and for a second note, the x3 is wat you will want for tuning. model number 3015 is the best option for our car and new are about 350.00
good luck.

Much appreciated, but I'm going to give these local guys a shot. Could I order an open tune from c and m for the guys to tweak on the dyno down here?

I think the xcal comes with the factory tune as the baseline so you may not need anything more than that. You can try and find an unlocked xcal2 on here or else order the xcal3 from sct.
There are other options for tuning as well but they all run about the same price. If you go with an xcal, you will need to find an sct tuner - not all tuners use sct software.

So SCT actually would have a baseline tune for a Contour? If so that makes things a little simpler. I can call them today and see what they say. Thanks.

After talking with a couple of people (one at C&M and one at SCT) it sounds like I basically need to get the SCT pro racer package with the X3 and as long as my local guy can work with that software he will just create the tune while the car is on the dyno. Sound right? I maybe wrapping my brain around this a little more than before.

That's what I'm going to do, but its an expensive solution if you just want to improve driveablility.

You don't need the PRP - just find a shop with the SCT commercial software and you'll only need an xcal.

That's what I'm going to do, but its an expensive solution if you just want to improve driveablility.

You don't need the PRP - just find a shop with the SCT commercial software and you'll only need an xcal.

listen to this guy. or else youre going to have to buy a 450$ PRP software...

So if the shop has the SCT commercial software I can just buy the X3 and drive my contour there, dyno and tune, and that's it?

Yeah - the PRP is a tool for home tuners and racers (hence the name). I would say if you are going to use SCT equipment to tune, you are wasting your time going to someone who doesn't have the SCT setup - its a sure sign they don't know what they are doing - they might be a great tuner but if they don't know the SCT package they will be learning it on your car!
Any shop will probably sell you the Xcal right there and then as well - since they would be SCT certified.

TO be clear - there are other options than SCT tuners, they're just the most common for our platform.

Thanks guys, that is helpful. Sounds like I might be taking a road trip to WI since Brenspeed's not doing these any more.

As long as the tuner is an authorized SCT dealer all you need is the flasher (X2, X3, X4, Livewire, etc...) and they should be able to do the rest for you. The flasher must be unlocked and not have a tune in a computer though. So if you are buying a used one make sure it is unlocked. If they are asking you for the tune file then something is not right. If they are a Moates dealer or use BE then they might have the ability to direct flash or use a quarterhorse to flash your PCM. Most of these guys are still using SCT's stuff though.

also you have to make sure the xcal software is updated and compatible to your car. i bought a livewire that was previously used on a diesel, and i had to call up sct to have them send me the right livewire software that i has to program into the tuner. or else it wouldnt read my ecu

As long as the tuner is an authorized SCT dealer all you need is the flasher (X2, X3, X4, Livewire, etc...) and they should be able to do the rest for you. The flasher must be unlocked and not have a tune in a computer though. So if you are buying a used one make sure it is unlocked. If they are asking you for the tune file then something is not right. If they are a Moates dealer or use BE then they might have the ability to direct flash or use a quarterhorse to flash your PCM. Most of these guys are still using SCT's stuff though.

But just because they're an SCT dealer doesn't mean they've tuned our cars before, so it's still best to find one that has done a Contique or two. Correct? I assume the basics of tuning a car are very similar across the board, but there are likely variables with each different type of car that can make a big difference in the effectiveness of the tune. Hopefully that's somewhat accurate.

It matters.... but it doesnt really matter. Sct is same on all platforms, and the technique for tuning is also same. They tune to the motor. Someone whos done it before might just get a good guess for the first baseline

But just because they're an SCT dealer doesn't mean they've tuned our cars before, so it's still best to find one that has done a Contique or two. Correct? I assume the basics of tuning a car are very similar across the board, but there are likely variables with each different type of car that can make a big difference in the effectiveness of the tune. Hopefully that's somewhat accurate.

Yea, I mean if you can find one that's familiar with our cars then that's helpful. I would say that any good tuner should be able to handle it though. I see in your sig that you have a hybrid so they'll want to up the engine displacement in the tune and then work out the air/fuel and timing from there. IMO the big thing is getting the tuner all the info you can about your build. The more they know about the car the better they'll be able to tune the car.

Also, there was some talk about using baseline tunes and whatnot. SCT does have 'baseline' tunes for most pcm codes but they are absolute garbage. A good tuner will take your PCM code and pull up the strategy and start from scratch. The 'baselines' that SCT offers are basically a compilation of some common changes tuners make which really isn't a good way to start.

So it appears the local place is not an SCT dealer, but they said if I bring the X3 and the software in on a laptop, they'd be more than happy to tune it. What do you guys think? I called Brenspeed again and the guy (not Brent) basically blew me off. Said they're really busy and he doesn't think they'd do it. I asked if they were an SCT dealer, he said yes. So you should be able to tune it with the software like any other car. "Well maybe but we're slammed right now." Not sure that I want to give them my business, but that was just one guy.

So here is the email I got from Brent at Brenspeed:

Ryan,

In a way that is how it works, but it is more than just a software deal. I no longer use the software for those years cars mostly because of commitments I have made on development to newer projects has consumed every minute I have available. Because of that, I do not have software for that model. I wish I had more time to support more models, but I literally can hardly keep up with the development projects I am working on.

Countour.org is a website I have seen before that had a ton of info on it for the Coutour. I believe several companies support that model on that forum and might even be able to send you an e-mail calibration. I would check that website out for sure. THANKS!

Brent
www.brenspeed.com

TOUR BRENSPEED! www.tourbrenspeed.com

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE E-MAIL HISTORY!

Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:26 PM
To: brent@brenspeed.com
Subject: SCT Tune

Hey Brent, I believe I had spoken with you a week or so ago about tuning an SVT Ford Contour. I'm since getting a slightly better understanding of tuning and wondering if you can tune my car on the dyno, without any "baseline" tune. From what I'm understanding it's pretty standard procedure to load up the SCT software and an X3, and tune from there.

So it appears the local place is not an SCT dealer, but they said if I bring the X3 and the software in on a laptop, they'd be more than happy to tune it. What do you guys think? I called Brenspeed again and the guy (not Brent) basically blew me off. Said they're really busy and he doesn't think they'd do it. I asked if they were an SCT dealer, he said yes. So you should be able to tune it with the software like any other car. "Well maybe but we're slammed right now." Not sure that I want to give them my business, but that was just one guy.

So it sounds like what they're looking for is for you to bring them a flasher, laptop and a pro racer package installed. They'd probably do an ok job but you shouldn't have to buy the PRP if you're going to have someone else tuning your car IMO. You could do a mail-order deal but a dyno tune with wideband hooked up is definitely the better way to go if possible. That sucks that brenspeed doesn't want to touch it.

Back