• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting and exhaust...

BHutch7732

CEG'er
Ok so i'm getting an exhaust and i'm thinking of two options. First is cut out the resonator and put a straight pipe in there and put two magnaflows out back. Or two cut out the resonator and put a magnaflow muffler in there and then do custom straight pipes back with magnaflow tips. I searched a little to see if anybody did option number two and i didn't find any sound clips so if you have one that would be awesome. What do you think will sound better?

Last edited:
The middle muffler is called the resonator. Use that term and you'll see what other people are doing.

I have a straight pipe in place of my resonator and 2 SS magnaflows out back, I'll get a quick vid tomorrow and post it up for you to hear. It sounds pretty good, and it isn't obnoxiously loud at all..

Sean

Ok, went out and took a really quick video before work, this isnt a cold startup either as I had just been out to the store and stuff , but I will say that when it IS cold, its a bit louder..when driving its not really that loud actually, at least I don't think so :crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmXs0HNZUSY

Sean

Doesn't sound bad at all. When you rev it, then let off the gas, is it "popping"? I couldn't tell if it was the camera or the car.

I think its my camera, plus it was windy today so the audio is kind of off...I'll try to get a better video tomorrow

lol 4th gear up barrie st = death look from you HA HA HA HA

With my duals its from 3-4.5k the rasp/drone is annoying. The rest of the rpms its great :cool:

Yeah i had that problem before with my old setup. I had to install a high flow cat to cut down on the rasp between the 2.5k-3.3k rpms

A straight pipe and a different muffler?

Acutally i had headers, a sho-shop y-pipe, stock res and stock svt mufflers.

I then threw in a high flow cat.

The peformance was great and sounded stock as hell no rasp or drone.

I really miss that old setup, the only thing i was going to do, is replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow oval muffler.

Now my exahust is loud and annoying lol drone and rasp galore lol.

Yet 4.5-7k it screams like crazy and it pulls so hard. I love it too much to plug up the exhaust with silencers lol.

silencers are for girls anyhow.

Wait till your butt drives my car for a couple hours. Ear plugs are what you will be grabbing at the store. :laugh:

My parents can hear me drive my car under 3k rpms from about half mile away. :crazy:

Back