• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

differences muffler and resonator.

D

devanmc

Yep another exhuast thread from me. Whats going to be the differnce in sounds damping between a muffler and a resonator.

Im most likely going with vibrant exhaust muffler and/or resonators.

i know but they started talking about exhuast set ups and such. so i gave up on an answer showing up there.

added: i just looked threw it again. they started recommending setup and such and cats or w.e. no one actually said a muffler works and does this and a resonator works and does this. which is what i want to know, seems you want to as well but no one answered it.

Last edited:
i know but they started talking about exhaust set ups and such. so i gave up on an answer showing up there.

added: i just looked threw it again. they started recommending setup and such and cats or w.e. no one actually said a muffler works and does this and a resonator works and does this. which is what i want to know, seems you want to as well but no one answered it.

Devan a resonator does exactly what it states. It resonates the exhaust to keep volumes of sound down.

Now a resonator is a a pipe. Inside the pipe is like a screen mesh that wraps the inside walls of the pipe. Between the mesh and pipe is a layer of suppressant fiber material. Nothing is obstructing the pipe itself. So it flows great.
4040L_3.jpg

Now a muffler has several types of designs.

Some have what we call baffles. Plates welded on the inside to help send exhaust flow in patterns. Which helps reduce sound. These type of mufflers really do reduce sound the best. On the other hand they also restrict the flow more. Because it has canals that exhaust must follow. So it takes longer for the exhaust to exit the muffler. Like in this picture.

F13-42541.jpg

Then you have some series of mufflers that are a straight through design. Like for example the maganaflow race series. In this series it offers a muffler that has no baffles. But A style kinda like a resonator. It has the wire mesh that is inside a resonator. But they place this circular wire mesh threw a muffler. The rest of the body of the muffler they place a fiberglass detonating material to help absorb the sound. Seeing that this design has alot less of an obstruction the volume of sound is increased over the baffle style system.

Perfect example is this picture

mufflercutout.jpg

Now this is the tip of the iceburg. There are many muffler designs out there. You just have to find the style/sound you are looking for.

Last edited:
lol, you just need a sound engineer to make you an exhaust system. then maybe you can get it to sound the way you want

The idea of an MG rumbling cracks me up. Most people have never even heard them run and even fewer rumble.

On that note about resonators, why then is the stock one so restrictive?

Because.. The tubing used on the contour is 2 1/4 before the resonator, the tubing shrinks to 2inch then it enters into a really bad baffled resonator that is too restrictive:blackeye:. The the exit is yet again 2inches which then goes up to 2 1/4.

Gotcha. So a straight through 2.25-2.50 resonator clears things up.

Yes sir it will work great. IF you have other mods done to your exhaust, removing the resonator will increase exhaust tone. Sometimes too much to the point of rasp/drone.

Gotcha. So a straight through 2.25-2.50 resonator clears things up.

You want a straight through, 2.25 inch design. This will eliminate any bottlenecks in the exhaust flow, a 2.50 inch is a bit bigger than the stock pipe, which I don't think would be good. Keep the ID the same all the way to maintain exhaust velocity. :cool:

That being said, I'm not an exhaust engineer,....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!:laugh:

You want a straight through, 2.25 inch design. This will eliminate any bottlenecks in the exhaust flow, a 2.50 inch is a bit bigger than the stock pipe, which I don't think would be good. Keep the ID the same all the way to maintain exhaust velocity. :cool:

That being said, I'm not an exhaust engineer,....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!:laugh:

valid point, to add to that :)
That can be corrected now with tube inserts. You place a ring tube pipe inside the larger part of the tube. The ring can be as long as you order it. Then you slide in your exhaust piping. That way your eliminating the change of Diameter enlargement that caused the change in velocity. :)
Then on mufflers after the opening it is just dumped into larger areas so the exhaust can follow flow patterns. Plus you don't have to buy that stupid enlarging extension pipe:blackeye:

Just so people know about this new part, its been out the last 2-3 years.

I was thinking 2.5 would slip over the stock pipes since they wont be flared after the stock resonator is cut out. I need to go buy the exhaust shop and get a quote on that and tinting actually.

I was thinking 2.5 would slip over the stock pipes since they wont be flared after the stock resonator is cut out. I need to go buy the exhaust shop and get a quote on that and tinting actually.

Tinting 35%+ Looks great with dark interior or light interior. If you have light interior you can get by with 20%. Any darker just looks ghetto to me.:cool:

Um most mufflers sold are slip ons. For example you have 2.25 exhaust. If you order a 2.25 muffler the muffler will just slip over the 2.25 exhaust tube you already have on your car. Then you can just get it welded which i recommend.

Or if funds are low or a welder isn't an option. 2 clamps will do the job.

Tinting 35%+ Looks great with dark interior or light interior. If you have light interior you can get by with 20%. Any darker just looks ghetto to me.:cool:

Um most mufflers sold are slip ons. For example you have 2.25 exhaust. If you order a 2.25 muffler the muffler will just slip over the 2.25 exhaust tube you already have on your car. Then you can just get it welded which i recommend.

Yeah I dont want it too dark but I want it to block a lot of the heat and glare. I know the installers so I'll ask their opinion about a semi-dark green car with a light tan interior.

And you're right about most mufflers you'll by in the store being slip on, but I used to sell that stuff and got half of them back because of weird things like no flared ends or just one flared end.

Back