• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RAD's 3L build

RAD Merc SVT

CEG'er
Well I got my winter job working at Jiffy Lube and I'm working 40+ hours a week. So now that the money is coming in I suppose it's time to start my thread. I have a 99 Mercury Mystique LS and I'm doing a port match 3L. Right now I have a 3L out of an 04 Taurus torn down to the block and the 2.5 is still in the car. I plan on leaving the engine in the car until I have the 3L pretty much ready to assemble completely. Monday I should be shipping my LIM and UIM to Sho-source to have them machined and I will finish porting my heads to match them. That is where I'm at right now and I will be posting pictures of my progress throughout the build. So basically this is just like any other build thread. ~Brian

I'm also buying an escape oil pan and pickup monday. Should I get the upgraded oil pan set? (3M4Z-6675-BA) Also, the upgraded oil pick up (YL8Z-6622-BA) says it requires 01+ studs. Are the escape and taurus studs in the same places? Finally, I read somewhere about the most recent upgraded pckup doesn't use a stud as a support. What year escape do I need to get that from?

I did the escape pan on my build too. I got just the pan new for pretty cheap off ebay and then ordered the escape pickup tube, dip stick, and gasket from team ford, cant remember how much it was tho. I think the dip stick might be the same as the stock 2.5Ls but I would double check that.

And hey do you have any 2000 or related cherokees at the yard you work at?

Actually I'm not the one who works in the yard. Yea I might be getting mine off ebay as well I talked to Ford today and the oil pan is $216 and I just found one on ebay for $86.

Haha my bad theres too many of us in this area I can't keep track. Yea I looked around and ebay was the cheapest.

yea Colorado is a hot spot. I just ordered my oil pan off of ebay for $80. I'll get an oil pick up from Ford tomorrow. My intake manifolds went out yesterday to be machined. This is starting to come together.

Get your intake manifold gaskets from Rock Auto. Much cheaper than thru Ford.

Depending on how much part cleaning you plan to do, you may want to pull the 2.5 sooner. Especially if you plan to clean/paint the valve covers, timing cover and such.

yea I plan on ordering most of the stuff from Rock. I'll have my engine out with enough time I just want to make sure I remember how everything goes back together. I'm gonna wait until my intakes and heads are finished so all I have to do is assembly

Ok, So I'm ordering all my parts and I called Ford for some stuff like the oil pick-up. I also asked them about 2S7Z-6513-AA ST220 Valve Springs (measured 161-163 lb/in) (From the 3L part number sticky) and he said it was replaced with another part number for springs that are on the taurus, sable, escape and so on. Would those springs still be the heavier duty ones the ST220 had?

No need to mess with the springs. How many miles does the motor have?

Yea mine was an 04 taurus motor with 19k miles. All I did was put my svt cams on and the escape oil pan. If your not using svt cams all you need to do is port the heads without letting metal chips in the engine , flip the pulse wheel, swap timing covers, and install whatever valve covers your using. Read my build thread, I was a total newb when I started mine, so my thread has lots of answers. I also started mine with no motor in the car, no old 2.5 to look at, nothing. I had to source most the parts that swap off the old 2.5. I know its a very long thread, but hit me up if you have any questions that aren't answered in there.

I think he's looking to modify the springs for higher revs in the valvetrain. I read somewhere that 04-05 duratec 3Ls had the same springs and valves as the st220.

Are you planning on running SVT cams?

Yea thats what I was going for. Yes I will be running SVT cams and I have an 04 Duratec. Maybe my machinist has the tools to measure the springs. ST220 161-163 lb/in

So I got my Escape pick up and oil pan on today. Funny thing is the pick up was almost identical and so was the pan. Pick up looked like it picked up i the exact same spot. I have not gotten an Escape dip stick yet because I have read mixed reviews about the escape and contour dipsticks. Can I use the Contour one? Finally, does the engine knock sensor need to be replaced on an 04 Taurus block?

Pretty sure you can use the contour dipstick. I remember I ordered the escape dipstick and it was the same as the one I had bought from a junkyard a while back which was probably from a contour. I didn't have to mess with the knock sensor but mine is an 02 cougar, hook up the wiring harness and see.

Back