• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Boom.

fillerport2.jpg
fillerport3.jpg

fillerport.jpg

Goodyear fuel hose to connect them should be here Friday...

31bxnqBKYgL.jpg

Application:
Designed for use with gasoline, methanol, ethanol, and diesel fuel in marine applications such as fuel filler neck, fuel tank vent and exhaust hose.

Construction:
Tube: Black Chemigum (Nitrile)
Reinforcement: 2-ply synthetic with helix wire
Cover: Black Chemivic (Nitrile/PVC) Wrapped Finish
Temperature Range F & C: -25˚F to +212˚F (-30˚C to +100˚C)
SAE Specifications: J1527 USCG Type A, Class 2, Style R2
USCG Specifications: CFR33 183 Subpart J, Fire resistance Type A
Specifications: 543990, 543991, 543992
Length: See table below.
Brand Layline: Goodyear HI-MILER® Wire Inserted USCG Type A2 SAE J1527, P/N ID
Installation: See selection of Goodyear Engineered Products clamps

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=10524

Last edited:
Bung connectors.

Any reason you didn't run the nitrile hose the whole length? Sure would have saved a lot of time...

Stupid Aerospace Loctite needs some special dispenser (Loctite P/N 98472) and applicator mixing nozzle (Loctite P/N 98623)... can't believe I didn't notice that. Ugh... in any case the stuff arrives Mon or Tues. However no worries I can still move forward. I'll be working on the pump/filter mounting bracket and the fuel line assemblies until then.

4854415.jpg
424-854.jpg

Last edited:
Made some progress today. Bracket for the fuel pump isn't the prettiest, but function over looks. I had to squeeze it in front of the fuel tank on the passenger side of the exhaust tunnel. This wasn't my first choice as I wanted to put the setup where the charcoal canister was for the EVAP, but doing that would have required fuel lines around the exhaust... which I didn't want to mess with.

epoxygun.jpg

portdrying.jpg

fuelpumpbrkt3.jpg

fuelpumpbrkt2.jpg

fuelpumpbrkt1.jpg

Little more progress today. Got the tank shield cutout for the sump and installed it on the tank. Then with the tank in place I drilled out the mounting holes for the fuel pump and mounted it to the car. Although I need to figure out how I'm going to mount the fuel filters. I think I can squeeze the 100 micron pre-filter for the pump between the pump and the exhaust tunnel, but it will be close. The 40 micron after filter will need to go in-line on the fuel line heading up the fuel regulator. I'll get some pics up in a minute or two...

EDIT: pics...

Had to use epoxy on the back half of the fuel return plate as I couldn't weld that close to the electrical connection, which I couldn't remove.

hanger1y.jpg
hanger2a.jpg

hanger4.jpg
hanger3.jpg

fueltankshield.jpg

fuelpumpmtg1.jpg

fuelpumpmtg2.jpg

fuelpumpmtg3.jpg

Last edited:
Pics from yesterday. Things went somewhat well. Pre-filter is installed and built the -10 suction line from the sump to the filter. Started making the hard line for the supply, but I'm still determining the placement for the post-filter. Not sure if I want to put it right after the pump and mount it to the floor board or if I place it at the end of the hard line in the engine bay before the FPR. I'm leaning towards the floor board just so that I have easy access. I also was able to make a custom bracket to mount the FPR where the EVAP valve was located.

fuelregulatormtg.jpg

sumpline2.jpg

sumpline1.jpg

pumpsumpoverview.jpg

Also my epic fail... my plan to use the -6 90° elbow is not going to work. It sits to tall and would protrude through the rubber cover. Now begins the task of finding a AN-6 90° bulkhead fitting.

returnportfail.jpg

Nice work, you're so close! Keep it up and you'll be done in no time.

Thanks. I just have to hold off on modifying any more stuff. The wild projectors I had in mind (clay models are started drivers side headlight is finished), custom taillights, CF trunk (probably after SZ), water-air intercooler system, and larger turbo with new piping... those changes will have to wait. However that said I still have plans to introduce my traction control setup at SZ.

Dang! I wish my subframe looked that good!
Looking forward to seeing this car at Spring Zing!

Are you still toying with the idea of throwing that CAT turbo in your car? Looks awesome, I'm excited to see it get completed and it's getting closer and closer every time I check on this thread. :)

Are you still toying with the idea of throwing that CAT turbo in your car? Looks awesome, I'm excited to see it get completed and it's getting closer and closer every time I check on this thread. :)

No, I bought a Garret turbo with the NPG kit. Although in the future I'm going to go to a twin scroll setup with custom piping.

any chance youd be interested in a meth injection set up

Not at this point in time.

Back