• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MY 3L Swap (in progress)

Hey Pole, I have a stock SVT waiting for you :laugh:. When I turn the key, there's this "Check Engine" light on and the code is PX030. I looked it up and it said "PX030 - Your current engine displacement is too low"

Problems still...

Problems still...

I swapped coil packs today with a known good one. So far I have swapped the wires and coil, I put new plugs in the motor during the swap. There is still a misfire noticeable in 4th and 5th gears while in lower rpm. The mis feels like it is hesitating or bucking slightly. At times its almost hard to tell if its the road or not. No CELs yet. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea or two.

Now my next problem...

When I go above ~5k my battery light comes on. Brand new alt from Ford and I swapped out the voltage regulator today with a known working one. Still the problem persists. Now today I kept on it about 3/4 throttle all the way up to 6k to see what would happen. The E-brake light and ABS lights on the gauge cluster light up bright along with the battery light. If it were night time and my lights were on, they would have lit up twice as bright. Both dash lights and headlights do this. I'm out of ideas on this one. I thought it was for sure the voltage reg. Please give me some ideas!

It sucks to have so much into this car and still have to screw around with this crap. I just want to drive the god damn thing before winter. Hell, I might just park the truck and DD it this winter to punish her for this bad behavior. :mad:

On a side note, she sounds real nice and it has some nice torque. :shrug:

EDIT: wanted to add it idles just fine.

Double check ALL your grounds. Sounds like it could be a ground problem. And just cause you replaced the voltage regulator doesnt mean it couldnt be the alt still. Check the small plug that goes into the alt and make sure thats pluged in all the way. My brothers keep coming out for some reason once before and was giving him problems. just some ideals

Double check ALL your grounds. Sounds like it could be a ground problem. And just cause you replaced the voltage regulator doesnt mean it couldnt be the alt still. Check the small plug that goes into the alt and make sure thats pluged in all the way. My brothers keep coming out for some reason once before and was giving him problems. just some ideals

i was going to say grounds as well. also check closely at the battery terminals, they may seem good but not be making great connections.

Yeah my chassis ground going from the tranny to the chassis was a little loose when i pulled my tranny and it gave me all kinds of weird problems. Also had a loose bat terminal and it was giving me a missfire along with other issues lol

Checked the plugs and they looked good. Still have no idea where the misfire is coming from. The grounds are all good too. I'm going to disconnect the brand new oem alt and just run the car off the battery. If my alt is bad I'm going to freak out.

I wouldnt suggest running the car off just the battery. Take the alt out and have it check if nothing else. If you run off justh te battery you run a risj of frying the computer. Aslo just cause a plug looks good doesnt exactly mean its good. Hell if youre worried about money just buy the cheapest plugs you can find just to see if it eleviates the problem. And i would make REAL sure that ground from the tranny to the chassis was tight cause i puled on mine when I was checking and it seemed tight till i was looking at it at night time and seen a small spark from it. Shure as shyt stinks the bolt wasnt tight all the way

Do you want another set of eyes to give it a once over? :eek: - I might be able to make it your way friday. Let me know.

Back