• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L won't start.

i had the crank sensor and the cam sensor swapped around. thanks csvt#49 :) she runs! now to bolt up the rest of the suspension and get the clutch bled out.

it was knocking like crazy in the valvetrain and me and my neighbor let it idle and after about a minute it went away. i'm still scared. it sounded like the chain tensioners were screwed up or something but it didnt jump timing im pretty sure cuz it purrs like a kitten at the moment.

it was knocking like crazy in the valvetrain and me and my neighbor let it idle and after about a minute it went away. i'm still scared. it sounded like the chain tensioners were screwed up or something but it didnt jump timing im pretty sure cuz it purrs like a kitten at the moment.
Might have just been a lifter taking a minute to fully pump up and purge out the air.

Might have just been a lifter taking a minute to fully pump up and purge out the air.

Hydraulic lifters take a bit to fill up. We recently rebuilt my buddy's Talon after a 300cc over bore (and stroker crank) and let it idle for a few minutes and the valve ticking went away. Sort of a cool design...I was only used to Honda's method of valve lifters (screw and lock nut...and you set then with feeler gauges).

Anyway, just wanted to add on to what procyon said and that they are called "Hydraulic lifters" and they fill up with oil and use oil pressure to set themselves.

Procyon is likely correct. My 3L did just that, and it went away pretty quick.

Though my '05 5.4L 3V had the HLA totally lock up and shove the finger follower into the cam until it destroyed the cam and ate the valve. :blackeye:

I'm sure you're fine though.

Back