• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L vs. 3LHybrid

novellino21

Veteran CEG'er
What are the performance differences from a straight 3L (which is what i currently have) and the 3L hybrid?
I got my car with a pre-swapped 3L from a 04 escape. It's a straight 3L and i've been told that the 3L hybrid gives you more high end HP b/c of the low compression. Would it be worth it to spend the extra money and convert mine to a 3L hybrid?
Right now i have the 3L motor, intake, SAFC, and magnaflow catback exhaust.

I agree with todras, not worth it.

Additionally, to make a hybrid you must block off two of the oil drainback passages to put 2.5 heads on the 3L, and that bothers me. There doesn't seem to be much feedback about 3L hybrids blowing up, so I guess I just like the availability of the extra oil return capacity.

Personally, I'd use the 3L heads on whatever 3L you get. The less you take appart, the less money you spend, and the less likely there is to be an assembly error.

Good point, but reason i'm wondering is b/c a regular 3L has so much torque that its hard to launch the car and there isn't enough high end HP to make up for the bad launch.
Kinda get what i'm saying?
With modifications i'm trying to build more higher end HP instead of more torque. But i do not want to do a forced induction.
What's good for the straight 3L's to build more high end ponie's?

I agree with todras, not worth it.

Additionally, to make a hybrid you must block off two of the oil drainback passages to put 2.5 heads on the 3L, and that bothers me. There doesn't seem to be much feedback about 3L hybrids blowing up, so I guess I just like the availability of the extra oil return capacity.

Personally, I'd use the 3L heads on whatever 3L you get. The less you take appart, the less money you spend, and the less likely there is to be an assembly error.

Ha, i just checked my PM's and you have completely answered my question. lol, thanks TourDeForce:)
Now i'm gonna go talk to Blackcoog and see if he will do all for me and start calling some junk yards for parts.
Thanks everyone:)

Why would you want to pull the motor again to put the inferior (in my opinion) 2.5 heads onto the motor?

If you feel like pulling the motor and changing something for ****s and giggles, just pull it and port your intakes for svt manifolds with secondaries.

The OP probably doesnt if its a full swap

I am guessing it doesn't have SVT cams either, but there are many full 3L swaps (3L block, 3L heads, 3L intake manifolds) with SVT cams running around. I just am suggesting that those would really help it pull in the uppers.

He has a full 3L with 3L cams currently. A set of SVT cams would definitely help move he power toward the upper end. As far as switching to SVT intakes he doesn't really have that option unless you pull the motor and strip the heads off or port the motor in the car, which I wouldn't recommend.

Chris

Good point, but reason i'm wondering is b/c a regular 3L has so much torque that its hard to launch the car and there isn't enough high end HP to make up for the bad launch.
Kinda get what i'm saying?

Even Y2KSVT's with 196 lb-ft of tq to the wheels still hooks up awesome. The 1-2 shift doesnt even break the tires loose. Just a loud bang as the whole dash wants to come flying out. You just need some good tires. ;)

He has a full 3L with 3L cams currently. A set of SVT cams would definitely help move he power toward the upper end. As far as switching to SVT intakes he doesn't really have that option unless you pull the motor and strip the heads off or port the motor in the car, which I wouldn't recommend.

Chris

Thats why I said if he feels like pulling the motor for ****s and giggles Lol

Well then it sounds like i should change out my cams for svt cams or some SE cams. If i put svt cams in would i have to change out all the pullie's, tensioners, ect.?

SE cams?:help: You're going to need all the timing components that coincide with that engine. SVT cams = wide pitch SVT guides, tensioners, and chains.

A set of SVT cams would definitely help move he power toward the upper end.

That is exactly what I suggested Chris.

novellino21,

if you're gonna take the cams out & go through all that work, just drop in the SVT cams with harware & chains & call it a day. Best thing for the upper rpm range - without doubt. The SE cams move the torque curve up a bit, but the SVT cams are definately the way to go.

Cam work is alot of work and trying to get an extra 10hp aint worth all the hassle or changing the top end. Spend the money and time some where else.

It's some work changing cams but it ain't that bad. If he can get svt cams for an ok price, then it's worth it to throw them in one day.

Back