Well I thought I'd create a picture "documentary" on the rebuilding of my ATX. Hope some find it useful. I first want to begin with the parts I have purchased. The first item I purchased was an external oil cooler.

I plan on using this as well as the built in cooler. This Hayden stacked cooler plate which provides 33% more efficiency in cooling over the stock aluminum fin type - at least that is what they say. This unit does seem to be a bit more sturdy and comes with an installation kit.

The next item I purchased was the electronic shift selonoid unit. I was strongly encourged to replace this unit during a rebuild

Next item purchased was an intermediate and overdirve band assembly. Wasn't sure if I would need a new one, but this was not that expensive...might as well!

I next purchased a Master rebuild kit. This includes the clutches shown here:

The next item is the bushing kit

Next item is bearing kit

Also purchased a remote atx filter kit that BigJim clued me onto:

Next picture of engine bay of me disconnecting everything to pull engine and trans through top.

One of the biggest problems that I understand with this transmission is oil pump blowout. There is a new bushing plate and gasket for the oil pump that is supposed to prevent this. The oil pump housing has some a new design, but it is not required to purchase this. I decided to purchase a complete up-to-date oil pump assembly from Bill Jenkins.

There is a specialty tool kit that is required to check end play, etc. The next two pictures show this kit. Thanks to Fastcougar for lending me this kit!!!!

Last but certainly not least, always have an assitant to help you do this kind of work!

I also purchased a Transgo shift kit which I do not have picured here as well as a new overdrive servo piston.

I HIGHLY recommend www.bulkparts.com for your transmission parts. They have been great with me, explaing some things.....
About the only item left I have to purchase is the torque converter. I'm waiting to get mine out to be sure I purchase the correct one. O'Reilly has this and their prices is $100.00.

I am also waiting for a engine lift that I bought. It should be delivered next week so I can pull the engine and tranny out. At this point in time, I'm pretty much on hold.

Hope some of this provide good info. I will update this section with pictures as I teardown and rebuild the atx.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by unisys12; 12/04/04 04:48 AM.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!