Originally posted by JohnnyBravo:

Mod Edit: There are many misconceptions in the statement below, see Silver Snake's explanation further down.

Slots are there to help remove the fumes and brake pad vapor occuring after hard braking, thus helping in cooling of the pads not rotors/discs/ Will slotted rotors crack easier than non-slotted ones? Maybe, but slotts are not that deep for that to be of a concern. Drilled rotors, regarding cracking, are acctually safer that non drilled because crack would stop at the hole and would not spread, while non-drilled rotors if they crack, it's over. Rotors are drilled for weight savings and looks alone, there is no heat benefits in drilloing of the rotors. There is one concern with drilled rotors. Moisture, and water dropplets can accumulate in those holes and eventually end up under pads, thus creating a problem. Loook on the race cars, those that use cast iron rotors, theirs rotors are not drilled, maybe just slotted but that's also rare. I have to admitt though both slotted and drilled rotors look cool, would I spend maoney on then? No way better by better pads and brake fluid. And please, once more, rotors do not "warp"! Why? Because they can not, they are made of iron, not steel, iron, unlike steel, can crack but can not "warp" at least not on those temperatures, it's the stuff called cementite that accumulates during high temperature braking, a brake padd material gets transfered to the rotor, usually very unevenly thus, creating vibration and brake pedal pulse. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Andy W.; 01/05/04 10:49 PM.

airman1 Black '95 Mondeo V6Si