I just got my 2000 Contour from a Dealership on November 10th. I haven't even had it for two weeks yet, and noticed a problem today, not sure if it's minor, or something major.

Today I was backing out of the drive way, and my car started jerking. It wasn't hard jerks, it would just pull forward every 5 seconds or so, and shake a little. It seemed to do it when I was driving slow (under 25 mph.) Then when I turned onto a main street, I hit the gas to get up to the speed limit, and it would not go. I was hitting the gas, and nothing happened for a few seconds, and then it picked back up, and it was fine.

The engine & trans wasn't making any noise, so I assume it has nothing to do with that. The car was doing fine driving around, and then we stopped, had dinner. When we came back out and went to leave, the car started jerking again. It picked up fine when I drove on the main streets, but for the first few minutes while driving, it was doing that jerking thing.

It seems to stop though after about 2 - 3 minutes of driving, and doesn't do it at all when you are driving at a faster speed. It almost seemed like my car was going to lose power, but lights or radio never dimmed.

My mother was in the car, and she seemed to think maybe it had something to do with the gas. Her boyfriend thought maybe it was moisture in the gas tank? When my fiance' drove with me this evening, he seemed to think it may need new spark plugs, and wires. (His truck did something similar back in summer, and it needed all new spark plugs and wires.)

I really don't know what to do...I don't know squat about cars, except how to drive them. I tried to explain this the best I could...but does anyone have an idea of what this *could* possibly be?

Thanks in advance for any replies, they are always greatly appreciated.

~ Kari ~

Silver Frost 2000 Ford Contour SE Sport V6 Automatic 61,400 Miles