Damn, who knew it could get this bad? If you havent done it already, I guess you should?

In a tutorial I saw pictures of a 1998 mystique with clogged up passages, it was pretty nasty. I figured mine would be even worse... and it was, being a '96 and all. Talk about a Ford design flaw. Here are some pictures I took.

In this picture, you can see the carbon build-up along the passages just under the entrance to the UIM.

Here it shows how I did it. I stuck an old sock in the manifold opening, so that I dont spray too much Throttle Body cleaner inside, and to catch anything from falling in there. The tin foil did a pretty good job at catching the stuff as I cleaned it out.

An overview look of what I had to do. Just detatch the accordion tube and MAF. Then take the throttle body off. Simple enough.

Sorry about the blurry pic, but heres a shot of how it looks after the cleaning. Big difference, mmkay?

Before/After Shot

Oh yeah, while I was in there I cleaned out my TB. Here's a before shot. I forgot to take an after shot though, but I got it to shine!

The carbon in the passages was so thick, that I had to use a screw driver to scrape it out. The wire brush did nothing for me. Supposedly all our duratecs get this.