Originally posted by TourDeForce:
You might want to re-consider the Benz idea. I've seen data on their lack of reliability that is kinda scary.

I personally like Jags - especially now that the retro styling makes them look so sweet. I have not done much reliability research on them, but I can get hold of '99 XJ8s for under $25,000. I'll put up with some gremlins to drive one of those.

My wife likes the Jag too, and it is her car. But I have had great luck with my previous MB's. And one time I was stopped dead on the freeway in my 420 SEL in the snow because there was a wreck in front of me. And a full sized Ford pick-up hit me over at 60 miles per hour. It cost $13,000 to fix the car but I walked away unscathed, and it didn't even bend the frame. Those cars are engineered like no other car on earth. And believe it or not, for under $20K you can buy a mid-to late 90's car with factory warranty left on them. I'm looking at a 95 S-500 with 66K miles. The dealer is asking only $23K and I offered him $15K. But we'll meet somewhere in the middle. But everytime a mechanic lifts the hood of a Benz, you can count on a thousand dollar bill. But they don't lift the hood very often, they are remarkably well built. Personal preference I guess, I just like the way the Benz looks. Don't get me wrong, the Jags are gorgeous, they're just smaller and I'm 6' 5" and 230 pounds, so I like big cars. No, don't ask how I drive the Tour, cause I don't very often, my wife is 5' 1" and 110.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.