Here are some good tire choices:

For all-season use (not much snow), and good treadwear, the Falken Ziex ZE512 is a favorite. It's probably the stickiest, best-handling all-season out there, and it's very cheap.

For a summer tire, you have a lot of choices. One of the best tires out there is the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. It's super-grippy, rides well, handles rain well, but costs a pretty penny. Another great all-around tire that's sickeningly fast is the Kuhmo MX. Good treadwear for such a sticky tire, and pretty inexpensive. The Falken Azenis 615 is an autocross tire with super-stiff sidewalls that's probably overkill if you don't have a very stiff suspension. Still a great tire, but it's not quite as good an all-around street tire as the Kuhmo and Yokohama. The Hankook Ventus Z212 is another tire in the same Max Performance class, but it's pretty soft, and the Kuhmo will probably give you many more miles for the same money.

For a less-expensive tire, the Kuhmo ASX, the Fuzion ZRi, the Yokohama AVS ES100, the Avon Tech M500, and a couple other tires offer a lot of stick for not much money. I had the Fuzions and was pretty happy - very cheap, and quite sticky. I think the AVS ES100 is a better overall tire in terms of street manners. The Kuhmo and Avon are probably similar, but I've never driven them.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results