Quote:

Can early model Contique's run late model suspensions?
Yes, 95-97 Contours can run 98+ suspesion as long as all components struts, springs, and strut hats are of the 98+ design.

Andy, I think some clarification is needed here. First of all, I see this question come up about once a week. Secondly, I just did this install over the weekend, so I think I can at least speak from this singular experience.

The front spring retainers are different part numbers between early and late suspensions, but when I was doing the research, the strut bearing was the same part number. I planned to clean and repack the bearings, so I didnâ??t bother to order new ones. Turns out, though, that the early bearings will not fit with the later spring retainers. Thatâ??s point #1.

It was no bother, though. I just re-used the early spring retainers and went on. Yes, the early springs are different than the later springs, but the tops are identical. The upper retainer is a slightly different shape, but the part where the springs rest is the same diameter and contains the obligatory â??notchâ? where the end of the coil should rest. So, point #2 is that you donâ??t really need the late type upper retainer to make the conversion.

Hereâ??s the bullets:

You can use any year strut on any year car, as long as the struts and springs match in type (e.g., 98+ with 98+).

You donâ??t need to match upper spring retainers to the strut/spring type, but if you are replacing your strut bearings, make sure they match up to whatever retainer hat you plan to use.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998