One thing that i think most people are negating are the effects of the cams on dynamic as well as cylinder filling/scavaging. On a high end car something as simple as a header change can bring the car into detonation because of the increased vacuum generated by negative exhaust pressure on the intake ports. So in order to determine what is the exact cause of these pistons splintering and going everywhere you need to know whats done to the car. Intake manifold/header/cat/exhaust/cam/porting.

If the heads have been home ported this is a huge factor. Home ported heads never flow anywhere close from port to port and often the combination of gasses have MANY rich/lean pockets then when left in stock port. There are so many variables. And i dont nessasarily think its pre 99 engines only that do this. Im not sure of all the factors in these engines yet. But need to take some pics of the top of the pistons as well as the cylinder head to find the rich/lean pockets in the chamber. and see if where those are are on the side where the lans are cracked/broken. Alot of lan damage is caused by the uneven heating of the piston. If one side expands more then the other and runs tighter on the ring it causes alot more stress.

Also what chamber is being used in general is important as well. Because of the quenching at the top of the head This also has alot to do with what detonates and what doesnt.

There has to be some specific modification that people are doing to cause this. Also anyone have the intake events/exhaust events on the svt and 2.5 l standard cam as well as whats on the 3.0l . I could drop these into some equations and figure out if the dynamics you guys are running are too high or not. If someone could supply me with the maf read outs with a dyno run and what that converts to in pounds of air thatd be great too.

Ex-cat cams dealer. Today we do motor mounts.. Tommorow. Intake manifolds