Thats all very well and good, and some of it is common knowledge on here.

I did tons of homework on my motor and I think in both N/A and F/I modes it has shown itself to be a winner.
I don't know as much about engines as you guys do, but I will say that I'm trying to get to the bottom of an obvious problem. Its ok to say we're running on the edge, but that doesn't explain why its always front bank #2 and #4 pistons that are getting blown, even if it is through detonation.

I'm ok with you saying that the pistons ring lands being broken are caused by light detonation, it explains it and its the best theory by far.
I would like to point out that detonation IS causing a compressive load by the way since the pressure from the charge burning is coming on before the piston goes through TDC.
I can easily see from my temp readings that I was spiking temps of 190+ F when I cracked my pistons before, and detonation is probably what caused it. Ok.
But why always front bank?
YOu also have to see that with the thinner ring land supporting the second compression ring on the earlier pistons that it has to be the weaker link, AND that may be why they are more 'light-detonation' sensitive.
This is the gist of why I will say to use later model pistons.

tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black