Originally posted by Contourgirl:
Another thing I just remembered from January when we had the car jacked up. The transmission looked like it was resting on the frame of the car. Not just sitting there, but sitting on the frame so much the transmission case looked strange, like it was changing shape.

I was lucky enough to talk to the shop manager that will be rebuilding my tranny next week and he told me of a problem very simailar to this. The rear tranny mount was damaged and allowing the tranny to flex so much that it eventually started having the same issues as you.

What caused it, well bad tranny mount , but seriously... because of the flex between the tranny and engine, it caused damaged to the torque convertor. The customer could put the car into gear, but after driving a short distance (enough for the TC to lock) and it would bog the car until it would die. Acts like if you was driving a 5 speed and instead of makeing a 1-2 shift, you do a 1-5 shift. Car will almost stall. The customer had said that they had noticed that the putting the car in gear was becoming harder and harder...., so this might not apply to you.

Originally posted by Contourgirl:
From the symptoms I listed in previous posts, is a rebuild all you think I will need to fix this issue (and a TC)?
Thanks for the replies.
All have been helpful.

From the symptoms that you stated at the start of this thread, it sounds like your TC was slipping while engaged. Exactly like mine did a few weeks ago. This can cause line pressures to do all sorts of crazy things. One of the more common problems with the CD4E is run away line pressure. This pressure can get so high, that it can actually crack the case! So a cooling line is not out of the question. It could be that you can't hold a gear because of the fact that 1) you have a leak in the cooler line, if thats the turns out to be the case or 2) the line pressure got out of control and something inside the tranny is damaged such as a drum or something along those lines.

As twowheelin said, it is really hard to tell without the tranny on a table in front of us. But I am sure that a rebuild should get you back into good shape. Good luck!!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime