Alright! I talked to two shops today about replacing my CD4E with a reman. Would you believe that neither would do it! After explaining my concerns that I might have a 95 model tranny instead of the correct 98 model, they both still told me that it would still be more cost effective to salvage the current case and drivetrain.

Both shops have pretty much the same plan, but different ways obtaining the same end. One problem though, different results.

The first one I spoke with simply quoted me $1650 plus tax. When asked about a cooler, they said, "Ok, add $85 to that." When then asked if they could also fill it with Mobil 1 Syn ATF, they said that I would have to supply my own in that case. When asked why, the counter person responded with, "Well, ATF is ATF and the syn is really no better. If what we use is not good enough for you, then you will have to bring to us what you want to use." I was shocked to hear this. I then asked him who they would be purchasing the reman from and he bounced around the topic once. I would not let him get around it again and then he finally fessed up. Come to find out they do not buy remans and install them for the customer. They "reman" the trannys in house. This caught my ear so I asked what procedures they used in the reman process and just sort of looked at me funny. It was funny at the time, but after it was over it really ticked me off! He explained that they go back with all OEM parts, which would allow them to rebuild the unit to OEM quailty.

Not what I wanted at all! If I was gonna have to pay for a rebuild, I was not going to have a stock OEM tranny in the end!!

Next shop was a lot better.

When I asked about a reman CD4E for my car, the counter person was very up front with me. He explained that it would be more cost effective for me to salvage the current unit. When told about the whole possible 95 issue he told me that it did throw a curve into things, but some of the best race tracks in the world were road courses and they are full of turns. Only one thing to do... TURN! Even at the end of the best drag strips, you have to turn around to go back to the pits. I really liked this dude! Even if it was found that there was too much play in the current gear set, they could get a 98 core and rebuild it. And still come out cheaper then going with a reman!

So here is the plan... I am going with the second shop. No! They would not give me a quote until they could find out if they would be able to use the current case and gears. Anyway! The valve body will be rebuilt with all Sonnax valves. Clutches I am not too sure about. He did say that they do not use a single rebuild kit, also known as a master kit. Rather they use parts from different sources, that over the years, has been found to be a combination that yeilds the fewist comebacks. The Trans Go Kit will be installed and an external cooler as well. When asked what size, he simply replied with, "The biggest we can fit into the car!" Followed by a small chuckle. I then asked about if I could request that the tranny be refilled with Mobil 1, he sort of perked up and told me that they highly recommend it. He then asked if I drove the car very hard. I of course replied with, well yeah. Sometimes. He told me that I might be better served going with Redline, then told me that we would cross that bridge when we got there.

I feel pretty safe going with the second shop, but I still have until the first week of June to pick one. I might still talk to a few others, just to get more input. I really don't know if I will find a shop that will rub me the way the second one did. They just sort of read my mind and that really has an impact. I have found this to be a very stressfull experience and I have only talked with two shops! I want it to be all over with and just get my cars tranny back in working order. At the sametime though, since I have been shafted once, I am determined to not be shafted again!

Just thought I would share this little experience, since I know that this topic comes up from time to time. If anyone has any suggestions as to other questions I might be able to ask or whatever, please pass them on. I know this was long, but believe me when I tell you that I have not covered everything. I am a very wordy person, so I did not want this to get too far out of hand ya know.

Last edited by RoadRunner; 05/26/03 06:05 AM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime