I'm new to this forum, but have ben reading the posts and think this may be the best place to get some unbiased advice.

I purchased a used '98 Ford Contour SE last August, and have loved its performance. Unfortunately, the thing overheated on me a couple days ago, and after having a local shop look at it, they said I have a blown head gasket. I'd really hate to spend the $$$ to have a shop perform the repairs, but I also do love the car, and would hate to have to get rid of a car I havn't even had for a year.

I've been toying around with the idea of doingthe repair myself. I've always done most of my own *minor* work on my cars (brakes, alternators, water pumps, etc.), but have never had a problem with the engine itself, and would like to know if this is the sort of thing that I should even attempt.

If so, do any of you have recommendations on where I can get info on the procedures, and also what I'd need to look for to tell if the heads need to be re-milled, or if the block needs to be re-surfaced?

Thanks!

Michael Rossini '98 Ford Contour SE