This is the work a local machine shop did for my SC's ddriveshaft, I know one of the main guys at the shop and he can do others. More info on that later;

Pic 1 - shows the standard vortech outer shaft which we shortened.

Pic 2 - this is the bearing case they made, it has a bearing encased in the aluminum (i think that what he used) and capped to retain the centering embossment (sorry I may be killing some of the tech. terms)

Here is the SC side of the case

Pic 4 - This is the female spline end that connects to the SC drive shaft. From Vortech it is merely pressed on (NO Pins) Well that did not go over well with the machine guys. So they pressed off the end, machined the outer end to fit the bearing, pressed it back in place and pinned it. The spline was made of hardend SS.

Pic 5 - Close up on the shortened outer sleeve with the female spline exposed. This is how vortech ships these (except its longer ), there is absolutly no way to know the female end is centered in the outer sleeve when mating to the SC. The bearing inside the SC itself is the only thing keeping it true.

Pic 6 - Shows the machined female end fitting the new bearing casing. This ensures the shaft is centered at the SC and is a very precise fitment.

Pic 7 - The outer sleeve is back on and is centered in the new bearing case. Picture 8 shows the stock Vortech mounts are still used throughout the revised bearing assembly.

pic 9 - The female spline drive shaft is centered and ready to be mated with the SC's drive shaft. Notice the bearing assembly and SC centering "ring"

And finally the last two pictures show the new bearing assembly on the SC itself

The location of the new bearing is right on the female spline exactly where the SC drive mates to it. Keeping the jackshaft true is the problem with this kit. Before this was done the female spline was off center in the outer sleeve by a good 3/16's, that will cause excessive stress on only a portion of the male and female teeth causing the extensive wear (after all the SC shafts are spinning at 10-15k rpms).

The one in the pictures is a prototype, if anyone does want this done for them, the new bearing casing will be polished (or at least have a nicer finish) and may also be "cut" to match the other bearing case at the pulley end. I an not sure about the latter though.

Cost, you ask?? Obviously you will need to supply your complete shaft assm, but total with shipping back to you is looking like $275 (includes credit card or paypal fees) The cost is high due to extensive labor, each one takes about 8 hours to complete. Included in price is the hardware (4 screws), bearing, new bearing assembly, machine work to the female spline end (with pins), and the shortening of the outer sleeve. If your female splines are already damaged I will have to contact them about cost for that piece.

Bill

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L