I've had a CEL code 1131 for a few weeks now that I thought was related to the upstream o2 sensor. Well, I just got a call from my mechanic and the following was his diagnosis:

"There is no problem with your o2 sensors, the problem is your air intake system(just an 8" AFE, I haven't put on the SCA pipe yet). The open air filter that you have is changing the reading of the MAF and triggering a lean code. You need to put on your stock air box because that is what your MAF is calibrated for, otherwise you will end up damaging your car. I took off your filter and stuck my finger in front of the screen and moved it around which made the readings go from 1.7 to 8 (I don't really know what he is referring to?). "

Now, I will admit that I am not the most knowledgable car person, but I know that tons of people run aftermarket air intakes and I've never heard that they damage the car if installed properly. I suggested getting a different MAF that calibrated for my specific air flow requirements like the Proflow, and he didn't seem to be against that. So, basically, what I'm asking is for suggestions, ideas, info, etc.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s